MBP relability

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DarkDTSHD, Mar 18, 2007.

1. DarkDTSHD macrumors member

Hello people,

I was looking at video clips at the YouTube site and came across this one user (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ateale) who was having problems with his screens. His last generation 15", MBP 15" and a MBP 17".

Some one replied and suggested he turn off the backlighting. That the band of brightness along the bottom edge was due to backlighting. Ateale, the original poster, hasn't replied to tell us if turning off the backlighting solved his problem. Has any one had problems with the screens on their MBPs? Is this just an isolated incident? I know some Dell laptop owners ran into this too but got it solved.

Any reliability issues I should be aware of with the MBPs? This would be my first. I've always been a PC guy. But have respected the thought behind the design of the Mac OS X, Mac apps and hardware. Wanted to give the MBP a try. How are the new iMacs?

Thanks.

2. jwkay macrumors member

jwkay

I bought one of the last CoreDuo MBP's last year, having also read of problems various people had had. I needed a new machine to take over from my ageing 12" PowerBook, and took the plunge.

I've not had a single problem with the MBP. Very impressed with it's speed, love the widescreen display and backlit keyboard (amazing how useful that can be!). Don't regret buying it for a single minute, it's a lovely machine.

3. DarkDTSHD thread starter macrumors member

That was fast!! Your reply. Any way thanks for replying.

No problems at all? Good to know. And you've been happy with your screen? No bright bands of light along either the bottom edge, left, right or top? :)

Maybe that guy was just unlucky. Hehe! :)

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Same here - no issues. I was not expecting any either.

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

You have probably noticed that threads about MBP issues have all gone dead. These things are working very well now. Same for the MB barring some stuck CD/DVD issues, an occasional airport issue and some bumps caused by the 10.4.9 update.

These machines are quiet, fast and reliable.

6. DarkDTSHD thread starter macrumors member

No problems. Good to know. So far every one's been happy. Maybe there were only some isolated incidents with the screen.

Which MBP do you have? How long have you had it? :)

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

This is about the point in the thread where Multimedia jumps in and warns everybody not to buy until Santa Rosa, and somehow manages to get in a plug for an admittedly excellent (but irrelevant to the thread) Sony HDV camera.

Multi?

8. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I have the same problem with my LCD as well. It's pretty annoying. I will probably send it in once they fix the problem.

Nuc

9. jwkay macrumors member

jwkay

Screen appears fine to me - a revelation compared to the old 12" PB! Much brighter and a lot better viewing angle.

10. iBenzin macrumors member

11. DarkDTSHD thread starter macrumors member

So it seems like only NUC had the problem with the screen. I suppose that's how it is with some laptops. Always a few lemons out there.

12. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Went through a few systens

2.0Ghz CD MBP w/ 128MB X1600 - no issues
    2.16Ghz CD MBP w/256MB X1600 - no issues
    2.0GHz CD Black MB - no issues
    2.33Ghz C2D MBP w/256MB X1600 - no issues..

No issues with all my systems..

13. a1291762 macrumors member

I got a "rev1" 15" MBP. Yes, I know all about "rev1" Apple products but it was time for a new machine and I didn't feel like waiting around for the merom (Core 2 Duo) machines.

There's been some issues but overall I'm still impressed. Luckily the issues I've had have been resolved or I've been able to work around them.

* whine - I used the "load the CPU" trick until the CPU card was replaced under warranty.
    * battery - Not that I ever noticed a problem but it was replaced by Apple.
    * screen warp - Meh. The latches still work so it's a cosmetic thing.
    * airport dropouts - I use a little hack I developed that pings the wireless router I'm connected to in order to prevent dropouts.
    * heat - See below.

In all other respects, the machine has been perfect. The screen is awesome but I run it at low brightness because it sucks battery life otherwise. The power cord thing has saved my machine from certain doom on a few occasions.

Heat... now there's a tricky one. The last laptop I owned was powered by a 10Mhz 80x86. As you might imagine, it didn't get hot at all. My wife has had an iBook for a while now and it doesn't get hot unless you're charging. I knew the MBP would be hot (metal case and all) but I didn't realise just how hot. There's a reason they don't call these things laptops anymore ;)

I run a tweaked version of FanControl optimized for heat instead of noise. Sure, it makes my machine noisier but 99% of the time that's not a problem (due to background noise levels). The few times it is a problem, I can just move the slider to make the machine quiet but hot. I have Bootcamp installed for gaming and a little applet that sets the fans on full and reboots to Windows. The fan settings stick until you turn the machine off so this lets me play the most demanding games without burning my legs off.

For comparrisson, Apple's algorithm won't spin the fans to full speed until your system gets around 80-90 degrees. Thanks to FanControl, my fans hit full speed at 60, keeping the machine quite bareable in almost all cases. To get it really hot now I have to be playing a demanding game (ie. stressing the CPU, GPU and HD) while charging the battery.

14. DarkDTSHD thread starter macrumors member

No problems with 4 systems. But, you must have known I would ask...why did you go through 3 MBPs and one MB if you had no problems? :)

So far, pretty much every one that's posted is happy. With absolutely no problems with their MBPs. 1 with the screen issue. 1 guy with quirks he's managed to work around. Overall, seems MBPs are fine. Looks like I'll still be picking up a MBP.

Do any of you also have experience with iMacs? How are they in terms of relability and quirks? Or have they been working flawlessly? :)

Thanks.

15. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Bad timing i must say..
    I sold the first MBP planning on upgrading to the bigger video card..
    I bought the new system within one week and they released the C2D.
    I pretty much sold the system right away and found an amazing deal on a Black Macbook.. something i couldn't turn down...

I got bored of the Black Macbook after 6 months and posted it up for sale for fun and received lots of offers... The Macbook was good.. but i was having too many pageouts (even with 2GB ram).. Another reason was the small hd.. it only had a 80GB HD.. and if i was going to upgrade it to a 120GB.. mind as well use that money on a better system..

If C2D was not released soon after I purchased the 2nd Macbook Pro.. I would have kept it..

16. jbuckner macrumors member

jbuckner

I've had no problems with my 1st Gen Macbook. It's been great, but I want a MBP now.