MBP Rev A vs. Rev B - different perspective

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by w8ing4intelmacs, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location:
    East Coast, US
    #1
    Just wanted to throw this out there.

    I bought a Rev A because by the time Rev B comes out, my old PowerBook (a 15" G4 1.67 (not the most recent one)) would lose its value. Even now, the market for Powerbooks on eBay has taken a hit. As it was, I sold my Powerbook the week of MacWorld Expo and basically got what I paid for it (I got it as a great deal on eBay last summer and sold it for a little over the average price on eBay back in January). I needed that money to pay for the MBP. With the money I got from the Powerbook sell, I ended up paying about $100 more for the MBP.

    If I waited until August (or later), my Powerbook wouldn't be nearly as valuable or in demand. Heck, check out the threads. When the question is asked, everyone is quick to tell people NOT to buy a Powerbook.
     
  2. risc macrumors 68030

    risc

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
  3. the Helix macrumors regular

    the Helix

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    #3

    Hate to break this to you guy, but if you want to invest your money and get a good return, you ought to invest in real estate. There is no sense in investing in computers to try and get a better or decent return later. You buy a computer to help you get your daily life work and hobbies done.

    Trying to make money investing in a computer doesn't really make sense IMHO.
     
  4. aamiic macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2005
    #4
    heh.. I think all he's saying is that there's no sense waiting. At no point did he say he was trying to 'make' money.

    That being said, there's a primetime for computer components where you can try and minimize your loss, as tech drops prices fast as we're all aware.
     
  5. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2006
    Location:
    Illinois
    #5
    I doubt he was trying to "invest." He clearly says that to pay for the MBP he had to sell his PB and thus, if he waited until rev. B, he would have ended up paying more out of pocket for the MBP because he couldn't have gotten as much for his PB. His premise was not to make money, but to save money. Now one can speculate on whether he may have to pay more in long run from having to deal with problems associated with a rev. A product, but I myself am planning on buying a rev. A (even with the possible bugs), that is unless Apple releases a new revision within the month.
     
  6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #6
    So he says he couldn't have gotten as much for his PB later on when the rev B MBPs come out. Wow......shocker. Thanks for clearing that up. I mean, by the time the rev B MBPs come out, the PB will also be older. I guess he's right, but thanks for pointing out the obvious.

    And the fact that the MBP has the same/similar form factor to the 15" PB makes the current 15" PBs decrease in value a bit slower than if the MBP had a completely different form factor.
     
  7. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #7
    Macs will be no different from PCs now that they are on Intels and follows Intel's rapid product revision cycles.

    Buying a computer for sake of its resale value is not wise.
     

Share This Page