Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
I and others (on the Apple support board) have noticed that the right speaker tends to distort when the volume is maxed and if you place the speaker balance to the right it sounds more 'hollow' than the left speaker in general. I've put a 'band aid' on the issue by moving the balance slightly to the left...

Anyone else experience this?

Slight annoyance on an otherwise exceptional machine.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
true, but has the speaker location changed? and also the MBP has a slimmer form factor, which may push the speaker closer to the power button impeading it a bit?

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands

Attachments

• pb15palmrest.jpg
    pb15palmrest.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 130

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Send it back. I'm serious. You paid thousands of dollars for a computer that isn't made to perfection...at least call and complain and get them to send a replacement.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
ITASOR said:
Send it back. I'm serious. You paid thousands of dollars for a computer that isn't made to perfection...at least call and complain and get them to send a replacement.

I most likely will but I want to be sure it's something that can be fixed and if it's something that's effecting more than my MacBook.

NeuronBasher

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
I'm not noticing this, and just played some music to try and find it, but I'm not hearing it on my machine.

That said, I don't plan to listen to music through the crappy laptop speakers anyway, so even if it was a problem with mine, I'm not likely to care. :)

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
interesting...did you try adjusting the balance slider at all between left and right?

It doesn't bother me too much and is probably something I'll have looked at after the whole buzz and shipping times die down.

NeuronBasher

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
bpd115 said:
interesting...did you try adjusting the balance slider at all between left and right?

It doesn't bother me too much and is probably something I'll have looked at after the whole buzz and shipping times die down.

Yeah, I played with the balance moving it back and forth and didn't really notice a difference between the right and left speakers. I tried a few different songs just to make sure. Honestly, both speakers sound pretty tinny and the sound quality pretty average for a laptop, but I don't have a real difference between one side and the other.

If you have an Apple Retail Store near you, you might try checking out a display MBP there once they have demo units setup.

arc80570

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2009
I have this problem as well. Just bought my MBP a week ago and its annoying me considering i payed £1700 for it! But if it means that the replacement has the same problem i can't b bothered. :mad::mad::mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.