MBP: should I get the 2gb -> 3gb upgrade now, or wait a couple of months (cheaper?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rob5, Nov 3, 2006.

  1. rob5 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2003
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #1
    i'm planning on ordering a 17" MBP C2D via the ADC store - the upgrade from 2GB -> 3GB is $460 from the apple store with the discount - and it's $671 from datamem and $629 from macsales. so it's significantly cheaper.

    i'm wondering if it's a wise idea to get the upgrade now, or if you see the price of a 2GB stick dropping below $460 in the next 4-6 months?

    any opinions?
     
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

    jsw

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2004
    Location:
    Andover, MA
    #2
    Prices will almost undoubtedly come down in the spring, and, unless you really need 3GB, I'd wait. I can't guarantee they'll come down to meet Apple's upgrade price, but it wouldn't surprise me - and, by then, you might realize you don't need 3GB, which will save you a fair chunk of change.
     
  3. rob5 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2003
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #3
    well i do need 3gb as i run a lost of resource intensive tasks (inc. parallels). apple sells the 2gb stick for $600 by itself like everyone else.. upgrade is $460. this is with the ADC discount, btw.

    i just want to make sure i'm getting the most from the purchase i can.
     
  4. Dubba macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2006
    Location:
    Nairobi, Kenya
    #4
    rob5 - as you said, you "need" the 3GB. If this is the case, and you have the $, then go ahead and get them from Apple. If you can wait, then like others have said, the price is likely to come down. Only you can decide what you want and what you need.
     
  5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

    gr8tfly

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2006
    Location:
    ~119W 34N
    #5
    another "waiter".

    I don't need the 3GB now, and I'd bet the price will be 1/2 or less in 6 months. The "old" 1GB stick will still be worth something.

    (on waiting list for 17" stock C2D. any day now.... ;) )
     
  6. jeremyschultz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2006
    Location:
    Clive, Iowa USA
    #6
    One reason to purchase the RAM now: The MBP only has two memory slots and they'll be filled no matter what (whether you get 2GB or 3GB) so if you go with 2GB and upgrade later, you'll have an extra 1GB chip on your hands. I'm not sure if you can sell it somewhere, but it seems like too much trouble.

    MacConnection.com is offering the extra 1GB at $400 over the cost of the machine.
     
  7. rob5 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2003
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #7
    i can sell the 1GB extra on eBay later on, or keep it as a 'backup' or as an addition when I decide to sell it. i'm just wondering if it's a good idea to get it now since it's $460 (and cheapest has been $600) or if it'll come down below $460 in the next 4-6 months. i can live _without_ it, but it'd be nice to have since i do use a lot of resource intensive tasks such as parallels.
     
  8. eddietr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2006
    Location:
    Virginia
    #8
    I'm a heavy parallels user also, and I can tell you I'm really looking forward to having 3GB. I ordered it on my new 17" with the ADC discount also. I think it will be some time before I can get 2GB upgrade for much less than $450.

    Let's say it comes down to $400 in 3 months. Is it worth dealing with heavy swapping for 3 months just to save $50?

    In fact if I didn't need the 3GB now, I'd be sticking with my CD MBP until the next MBP revision anyway.
     
  9. mini.boss macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    #9
    3GB is alot. So my opinion is that if someone needs to ask if they should buy it then they dont really "need" it. People who need it are the people who say "they offer 3GB? too bad its not 4."
     
  10. rob5 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2003
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #10
    thanks - i think i'm going to go for it then. this will be a desktop replacement as well, so it's better to go all out and just get what i want instead of worrying about upgrading later.

    what was your reason for the 160GB versus 100GB 7200RPM drive? space? i'm still deciding between the two; space isn't a concern - everything will be on an external drive (music/tv shows/etc).
     

Share This Page