MBP sleep battery consumption

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrmunkily, Sep 1, 2006.

1. mrmunkily macrumors newbie

Hi

Was wondering what how long my battery will last if I sleep my MBP.

If I have a full charge on my battery, boot it, and then put it to sleep, how long can it sleep before draining the entire battery?

2. djfern macrumors newbie

MBP battery in sleep

It seems to use quite a bit of power. I've noticed then when i leave it sleeping with a full charge, after about 5 hours, it's lost 12%-15% power. So if you factor that, it should last about 40 hours + in sleep mode, with a full charge.

My powerbook g3 by contrast could last several days and wake up with well over 50% power. Kinda wierd...

3. XP Defector macrumors 6502

I notice on my MacBook that if I sleep the machine, the loss in power seems considerable. Though I have not tested this methodically.

4. mrmunkily thread starter macrumors newbie

What I've taken to doing is putting the machine to sleep, waiting for the light to start pulsing, and then quickly popping the battery out of the machine for 1 second.

This kills the RAM suspend, and the next time you power up it restores your session from the "safe sleep" hard drive area. This takes about 5 seconds, as opposed to the 10 + 30 seconds it takes to log into my account from a cold boot.

This is probably a "really bad idea" if you have important unsaved documents open, of course :)

5. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I agree, it should last a good 40 hours.

PS 300th post!! yay.

6. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Oh wow, 40 hours seems really short. (I mean that in all seriousness, as I usually carry my laptop with me my whole day, and that means maybe 8 hours of sleep which = 20% of the charge) I have a PB G4 and I'll get a MBP anyways, but this is just surprising for me.

My PB's battery (which is half depleted, if i remember right) has shown numbers like 150 hours when i snap it open fast after sleep. At least, if I'm reading that correctly...