MBP Slooooow...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GFLPraxis, Mar 12, 2007.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    So my mom bought a refurb 15" Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro to replace her aging 1 GHz 12" PowerBook G4.

She keeps complaining about how slow it is, and I admit it doesn't feel too snappy when I use it. I've only had a short time on it though, but she claims it is "slower than the old one".

While she's happy with the screen size upgrade alone, she would like the machine to be fast. I figured going from 768 to 1 GB of RAM and a 1 GHz G4 to dual 2.16 should be a HUGE difference...

Now, I should note that she does run Photoshop 7 (Rosetta) and Microsoft Word. But even when she's not, it doesn't feel as fast as my Core Duo MacBook.

We used the Migration Assistant. Could this be the culprit? (it even migrated the OS 9 system folder, lots of legacy stuff) Could it be a bad refurb?

Any suggestions to speed it up are welcome.
  2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

May 6, 2006
    Leeds, UK
    Check you don't have any processes eating up CPU with Activity Monitor. You can find this in Applications/Utilities.

Also check how much free RAM you have which is under the 'system memory' tab. Your total free is 'Free' + 'Inactive'.
  3. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    Well I would start by deleting all the legacy stuff (it won't run unless you are running an emulator like sheepshaver anyway) and then repair permissions using the disk utility.

If that doesn't work, then I would personally wipe the thing and copy everything over again. But this time copy the stuff over manually and of course leave the system 9 stuff.

If that doesn't work, then I guess it could be a problem with the laptop.
  4. smueboy macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2006
    Have you repaired permissions. I'm always amazed how often that works.

Edit: missed it by | that much. :)