Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

likwidplastik

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
To make a long story short. I've been redesigning my company's website on my MBP (I work for an Architectural firm). Yesterday, I had to travel to our other office to present it to the "bigwigs" in the conference room. Everything went great. After the meeting I pack all my stuff up.

I leave the conference room for about 30 minutes, come back...and all my stuff is gone. Not to mention, in my laptop bag, I had an 80gig ipod video, a 2 gig second gen nano and a BT mighty mouse.

Here's the kicker...all my work was backed up on the ipod...so not only is my stuff gone...but all the back-ups of everything else I've worked on.

Needless to say, I'm p!ssed.

bluetorch18

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2006
To make a long story short. I've been redesigning my company's website on my MBP (I work for an Architectural firm). Yesterday, I had to travel to our other office to present it to the "bigwigs" in the conference room. Everything went great. After the meeting I pack all my stuff up.

I leave the conference room for about 30 minutes, come back...and all my stuff is gone. Not to mention, in my laptop bag, I had an 80gig ipod video, a 2 gig second gen nano and a BT mighty mouse.

Here's the kicker...all my work was backed up on the ipod...so not only is my stuff gone...but all the back-ups of everything else I've worked on.

That seriously sucks dude...I really feel for you...I'd cry if someone stole my MBP...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Oh man...that really sucks.

Most architectural firms are pretty small and close-knit...seems strange that someone would do something like this (or even think that they could get away with it). Are you sure someone didn't just move it somewhere for safe-keeping?

thiagofll

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
MIAMI BEACH, FLORIDA

Do you still have your iPod's and MBP's serial numbers? Call Apple and let them know about what happened.
If your item is ever sold and the new owner contacts Apple for repair or even questions about that item, they will require a S/N as the new owner probably won't know whether that item was stolen or not. Tell Apple to contact you if that ever happens.
I would be going nuts if that ever happened to me...Hope everything turns out ok...

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Los Angeles
Sorry

My simpathy... My God or a god grant some happy times / miracles for ya.. .. :D

I tried to be light hearted..

likwidplastik

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
Well, after it was all over, I was told that they have had some thefts there before. Laptop stolen, projector, even a damn plasma.

You would think that they would cover it since it happened in the office. Oh well.

Thieves suck.

joe50000

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2006
That sounds too shady to me. Maybe it just got moved? That happened to me at school once. I left some stuff in my prof's office and he just moved it to his locked cabinet because he didn't think it was safe. Ran around the whole day thinking it was stolen. Anyway...good luck to you sir...the laptop isn't as important as your job though...are you in any eminent danger of losing your job?

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
To make a long story short. I've been redesigning my company's website on my MBP (I work for an Architectural firm). Yesterday, I had to travel to our other office to present it to the "bigwigs" in the conference room.
This happened at your company's 'other' office?! The "bigwigs" need to take responsibility for their crap security. I would be pissed :mad:

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Lemme see: Theft from company office, while on company business, having been directed to attend meeting in said office, in room where (projector, conference phone system, etc.) it is reasonably presumed to be secure, no prior notice of an acknowledged history of theft, no offer of a secure storage space:

No brainer. They should reimbourse you for your full loss.

Report in writing to your manager, ask for a reply in writing.

likwidplastik

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
:mad: You guys aren't going to believe this:

The guy that stole my damn stuff, JUST CALLED ME!

He was acting like he was a private investigator, and all my stuff was found in new york...which by the end of the conversion was New Orleans!

He was trying to make me verify information that was already on there....like making me say the last two letters of things....i.e., name, address.

Then, he got to my frikken username...which I use for everything...and was asking me for the password. I told him I would have to call him back, because I had it written down at home, and I wasn't at home.

Then the jerk says, okay, but I'm going to be in "the field" all day, so just leave me a message. I said okay.

Then he hung up.

Is that a kick in the nuts or what?!

FYI: He called my cell phone, which came up as "unknown number". I called my cell phone company to see if they could trace it anyway...of course, the answer was NO.:(

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada

wow..i don't own a mbp, but if i ever do, you can bet this is the 1st piece of SW i install!

to the OP: call your police station and tell them what happened. ask them to call his number, so they can trace it, when you call him back with the p/w info.
kind of done deal i would think?

you tell them what happened...stuff stolen..guy calls you..it's obvious he has it...he's dumb enough to contact you with a phone number....someone should be able to trace that. tell the cops that's about $5000 worth of hardware and needless to say, your company's work too.

BUT don't tell the bigwigs about it. chances are it's an inside job so maybe they know the person so if they hear about it...your plan is busted.

OR, tell him you don't want to give that p/w info out b/c it's tied to alot of important things so you'd like to meet him and input the p/w yourself. of course, this is dangerous as the guy might be a criminal and you'll feel like ripping his head off....so i think my other suggestion makes sense.

you can also tell the cops that this guy may be responsible for other thefts in that office too. cops love catching serial thieves...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Christ above! Reminds me of the time I was walking to uni in the morning and a gang approached me asking for my iPod (i had a PowerBook... which is worth more? losers). A handful of people really suck.

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Sorry to hear about your loss, insurance should cover that somehow.

holdencaulfield

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
Iowa
holy buckets, man!
What did the person on the phone sound like? Did they sound young or old?
Thats ridiculous...
More than likely he used Skype to call - that can't be traced, as far as I know - and that explains why it came up as unavailable.
Wow. That's insane... I can't believe he had the balls to call you!
If he gave you a number to call, that may work...
but there is always this - - which explains why he wanted you to leave a message... http://www.privatephone.com/
If he gave you any number - - even a privatephone number, you should be able to track him down somehow! (or the police, for crying out loud...)

Anyway man... I feel for you - -
The equipment itself is replaceable - but your data isn't. Thats what sucks.

craigatkinson

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
You know, I'm in law school right now and we're studying crap like this. If your on someone's property and they know there have been many thefts on the premises and they don't warn you about it, they can held liable if you get something stolen because of it. I'd take them to court if I were you. Not only could you try to recover on the price of the items which were stolen, you could also try to recover on all of your lost work. Of course each jurisdiction is going to be different, so you'll want to talk to a local lawyer about it, but you may have a case here.

Well, after it was all over, I was told that they have had some thefts there before. Laptop stolen, projector, even a damn plasma.

You would think that they would cover it since it happened in the office. Oh well.

Thieves suck.

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
I feel for you. I had my awesome customized MBP stolen a while ago. Just thinking about it makes me angry. I can't even get a 7200rpm drive as BTO now. Hope you get it back. :mad:

GraceMolloy

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
Kentucky
FYI: He called my cell phone, which came up as "unknown number". I called my cell phone company to see if they could trace it anyway...of course, the answer was NO.:(

Is it worth calling your lawyer? A subpoena will get that information. I worked for Cingular and Verizon both. Get a court order.

shakerbaby

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2006
To be honest, and I know people won't like this but I am entitled to voice my opinion, but I feel you deserve it. Anyone who keeps their backup right beside the original data is asking for trouble, especially when you swan off for half an hour leaving everthing out in the open and on display in an unfamiliar environment. What the hell were you thinking? I bet the thief couldn't believe his luck nor that someone would be so stupid. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.