MBP suggestions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wmmk, Nov 19, 2006.

  1. wmmk macrumors 68020

    wmmk

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2006
    Location:
    The Library.
    #1
    OK, so I was at the North Michigan Avenue store today and they had a refreshed (returned within 14 days & no issues & and normal 90 day warranty) 15" CD MBP, which I almost wanted to buy on impulse (but I'm too frugal to do that). It had these specs:

    2.16GHz CPU
    1GB RAM
    100GB HDD
    256MB VRAM
    Single layer super drive
    Antiglare (A.K.A. matte) Display
    $1499

    So, unless iLife '07 brings a new app, I don't care much about that (I don't care about movies, iTunes is free, I have Cubase, and I use my Pentax software instead of iPhoto, and I use iWeb very rarely), Leopard isn't a major priority because I only delete stuff when I actually want to, I like my current virtual desktop software more than spaces, and I'd end up waiting for 10.5.3 or 10.5.4 if I did wait for Leopard to buy a computer, and I don't want to wait until mid summer. In terms of hardware, 64 bit doesn't look like it will affect me much, I'll never need 3 GB RAM until my next machine, and I'm not willing to spend $500 extra just for 4MB instead of 2MB L2 cache.

    Although Leopard is not a huge priority, I will eventually upgrade to it, and I don't need a laptop for school at the moment, although it'd certainly be nice to have, and it'd let me give the Mini to my mom, eliminating my job as family tech support desk:D

    Also, the guy at the apple store said that the $100 printer rebate only applies to new macs, not refurbed or refreshed ones. According to apple's PDF, that is seemingly not the case.

    Anyway, should I buy the MBP now and just get Leopard whenever I have the money and feel the need, buy a refurbished C2D MBP when Leopard comes out (which would almost certainly cost more), wait for Santa Rosa (because I can, even though I may not want to in the short term), or something else altogether?

    Thanks for reading my excessively long thread:)
     
  2. JAT macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2001
    Location:
    Mpls, MN
    #2
    RE: the bolded part.

    I think you already answered this question. Yes. Maybe compare to the online refurb store for pricing, or if you prefer the glossy display or something.
     
  3. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

    wmmk

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2006
    Location:
    The Library.
    #3
    I suppose you're probably right. Thanks for the reassurance:eek:
     
  4. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #4
    I waited 10 months for my G5 to go on closeout and while I did save $600.00
    off the original price, the wait was horrible.

    I wouldn't worry about waiting for Leopard so much.

    I'm not even sure if I'd wait for Santa Rosa.

    We won't see any major changes until the Penryn 45 nm processors
    make their debut.

    The iMacs are still your best overall bang for the buck.

    If I were in the market for great system right now, I'd buy the 24"
    iMac now and wait for the Penryn laptops next year.
     
  5. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

    wmmk

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2006
    Location:
    The Library.
    #5
    ok, um I don't need or want an iMac. I'm specifically in the market for a laptop. that said, when will these Penryn systems be out?
     
  6. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #6
  7. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

    wmmk

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2006
    Location:
    The Library.
    #7
    I can't wait that long. I need a laptop by July '07 at the latest, and it'll have to be a refurb because I'm getting a MBP for the more ergonomic keyboard, and I don't have enough money for a new MBP. So, my only choices are CD MacBook Pro now or C2D MacBook Pro a month or so after santa rosa comes out, in other words, may or june. based on what I do, 64 bit doesn't make a big difference. still, I'd like to have 10. and iLife '07 come preinstalled. then again, I barely use iLife and I'll have the $$$ for Leopard by the time it's all good and stable. Also, my mom will then have my mini, so maybe my parents will just buy the family pack and split the cost with me! That'd make the CD MBP $1599 with future leopard update. That leaves me with $60 for a case and/or upgrade to $99 printer! Yayyyyyy! Apple store, here I come!
     

Share This Page