MBP USB Hub issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cybiker, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Cybiker macrumors member

I have a Kensington 8 port USB hub connected to my MBP. I have tried connecting my 500gb western digital mybook, my sony dual layer external dvd burner (both are powered) and my ipod nano dock. The DVD burner works perfectly, however the hard drive spins up but is not recognized and the ipod dock charges the ipod but is not recognized (does not mount?) Any suggestions/ideas?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Do you have the power hooked up to this drive

3. Cybiker thread starter macrumors member

Yes I do, as I said it spins up but is not recognized by my MBP

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I was having the same problem with my girlfriends MBP. She has a simple 4-Port USB hub with a power supply. She has her printer, iPod dock, and camara cable plugged in and it will not recognize either the printer or the iPod. She has to now switch them out directly into her MBP. It could be the USB went bad, I should try it in my computer and see if it works.

5. Cybiker thread starter macrumors member

Yeah the thing that sucks is that it's a brand new hub, and it's a good one at that. What sucks even more is it was purchased a week before christmas, so it is out of return period if I do have a problem with it, just set it up in my dorm room so I had no way of knowing of any issues.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

is it a powered hub? or does it get its juice from your MBP?

if its not powered, try plugging your MBP in first.
    if it still won't work, try disconnecting the iPod and see if the other devices work.

7. Cybiker thread starter macrumors member

The hub is powered, I have tried all kinds of different combonations with connecting the devices to the hub, could it be an issue that the hard drive looks for the computer but sees the hub and just shuts off? Is there a way to tell the computer to look for the HD and mount it that way? To get the computer to look for the HD first, rather the hard drive sending a signal to the computer first.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

try hooking the hard drive up by itself through the hub, powered off and then power it on and see if the computer finds it. also open up disk utility and see if it shows up there...