MBP uses more ram?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by KD7IWP, Feb 28, 2006.

1. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

When I had a Rev. D Powerbook with 1 gig of RAM, I NEVER had a single pageout ever. With this Macbook Pro I have tons of Pageouts with the same 1 gb of RAM on two sticks (just like on the Pbook). Now I don't know if that is because I have iphoto '06 now since I only had '05 on the Pbook. Anybody else noticing this?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Rosetta uses a lot of RAM although iPhoto shouldn't affect this. Are you using Rosetta much? :)

3. KD7IWP thread starter macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Hmmm I have had office open, but never worked in it. And did not have iphoto open at the same time. So no, I have not been using Rosetta much. But I do see iPhoto taking upwards of 400 mb when it's open.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Was that 400MB of real RAM or Virtual RAM? Also, what were the figures for Office? :)

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Interesting, considering that we needed more RAM because the PowerPC processors were RISC-based and they always need more RAM. That the Core Duo is primarily CISC, it should need less RAM to complete its task. However, being that Mac OS X and the applications are only recently in large scale distribution may have something to do with this. Better tuning should follow.