MBP vs. MB Screen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ozman712, May 28, 2006.

1. Ozman712 macrumors member

Mar 6, 2006
    I am about to buy either a MBP or a MB. I understand that they have very similar specs with the exception of graphics card, PCI slot, and screen size. And this brings be to my problem. Right now I have a 15" HP laptop (not widescreen) that I feel very comfortable with (screen, everything else about it sucks). I have used my friend's Macbook, but it feels just too small for me. I can't decide whether to spend the extra $600 for the MBP or just get a Macbook and invest in a 17" WS LCD (I would like a 19", but the MB won't support its native res.) Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also- I the most video editing I will ever be doing is on Final Cut HD Express and I am not a big gamer.
  2. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

Feb 17, 2006
    Clovis, California
    From what you described, you should get the 15" MBP, but wait until all the assembly bugs are worked out. Screen size is important especially if that's what you're already used to. This is just 1 man's opinion though. :)
  3. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

Feb 21, 2006
    Are you sure about that? According to apples web pages it supports external displays up to 1920x1200 pixels for extended desktop and lid-closed mode, which should be more than any 19". So unless your 19" display has a very uncommon resolution it should be fine.
  4. matticus008 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    You'll also have an extremely difficult time finding a 17" widescreen LCD for a reasonable price, if at all. Fortunately, you can use practically any display, with the exception of the 30" Cinema Display, with a MacBook. The 20" Dell or Acer are good choices, as is anything made by Samsung.
  5. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

Apr 7, 2006
    noun. a particular place or position
    i say get the macbook and make good use of exposé
  6. navigator macrumors newbie

May 17, 2006
    Like everyone is saying, it will drive a 19in. My friends 24in (1900x1200) works flawlessly with his 2.0 WhiteBook.