Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfd954

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Ok, so now that most of us have had our MBP for over a week, approaching almost 2 weeks now how many of you would rather have stuck with the powerbook g4 october '05 revision. I am asking because I have a store near me that still has some in stock and with the noises that come from the machine and the increased heat I am looking to see if others have switched back to their powerbook g4 from the MBP. I appreciate all the input. Thanks

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
I went with the g4...I got a really good deal on it and its sooo nice. Im waiting for rwv b of 12 or 13.3 inch versions of mbp. The g4 does exactly what I want today. :D

Go with your gut-feeling...I guess.

Wihope

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2006
The noise I have not heard on my 1.83, and the heat, well the case is metal and metal conducts heat and the computer packs a bigger punch than a g4..and its only 1in thin. And generally speaking faster computers generate more heat so of couse its going to be hotter.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Hmm, scanline issue or noise issue. Let me think.:p

*mumbles something about apple's quality control*

I think I'd rather have the noise issue, even with one of the cores disables it's a much faster machine than a powerbook.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I am wondering if it is best to stay away from the 7200 rpm drives for the MBP. I haven't had the heat or noise issues with mine. It is hot at the bottom but not hot on the keyboard area and I have my MBP cook h.264 files all day. I would expect it to be much hotter than it is right now. My Powerbook G4 is hotter when I encode h.264 for any length of time.

Anyone with heat issues with their MBP with the standard 5400 rpm drives?
I still feel this machine is fast with I/O unlike Windows laptops that need to have the faster drive to manage all those tiny files and DLLs scattered all over.

I feel that my MPB is better than my Powerbook as far as heat and both are quiet when doing heavy lifting tasks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.