MBP Whine, but not sure it's the same whine...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by icecavern, May 15, 2006.

1. icecavern macrumors regular

Right had my MBP17 a few days now and apart from a dead pixel which is dissapointing it's all great. Loving the speed increase, everything is as snappy as I'd want it to be now.

However I have a problem with whine, but I'm not sure it's the same as the standard reported one. Mine only happens when the battery is fully charged and plugged into the mains. On battery power it's silent, when charging it seems to be silent but once charged you can hear a high pitched screech/whine.

Now is this what you guys are talking about or is it something different?

Pete

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I believe the buzz surrounds the fan running from overheating (no pun intended :rolleyes: ).

3. entropy1980 macrumors regular

entropy1980

Does it sound like it's coming from the left side of the MBP?

4. icecavern thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure where it's coming from I'll investigate. It's definately not the fans, it's a very high pitched noise, it's electrical rather than the mechanical noise of the fans.

5. icecavern thread starter macrumors regular

Yes the sound is coming from the left side, round the speaker grille area as far as I can tell. Is this the processor whine everyone is talking about or something else?

Like I said it only happens when the battery is fully charged and with it plugged into the mains. Pull the magsafe plug out and it stops.

Pete