MBP whine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim2006, Jul 25, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

I contacted apple support re my MBP whine. I was told that it required a new logic board. I returned the MBP for the black MB, no whine.

2. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

you're sure the new MB doesn't have the whine? I've yet to hear a MB without it, although the volume does vary.

How old was your macbook pro when they took it back?

3. macrumors 6502

Yeah, how old was it??

4. macrumors 6502

Apple found a fix for the whine.

MacBook Pro with noise under the keyboard
    If your 15-inch MacBook Pro emits a high-pitched buzzing sound, please contact AppleCare for service.

5. macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hmm... How long do you think Apple will continue this repair process? For as long as my MBP is under warranty? Like what would happen if I sent mine in for the whine problem 6 months from now? Would it come back as a MBP, or as a MeromBP? :D

(Serious question, by the way.)

6. macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

In the same way that iBooks and PBs come back as iBooks and PBs, and not MBs and MBPs, I would say that you would probably end up with whatever you sent in, only repaired.

7. macrumors member

New MLB

Is the CPU soldered onto the main logic board? If it's the case, do you know if a 1.83 GHz CPU will be upgraded to a 2.0 GHz since Apple isn't selling the 1.83 GHz version anymore?

Anybody sent a 1.83 GHz MBP for repair?

Thanks,

8. macrumors 6502a

Temujin

My guess is that Apple have plenty of spare parts for the 1.83 GHz. I'll be sending mine in for repair soon, and I bet I''ll get nothing but a 1.83 GHz back again. This time in working order I hope. I'll let you know if I get a bump.

9. macrumors member

I've send mine in for repair (at my local official reseller store) yesterday, got a phone call from the tech about 5 min ago. He confirmed that the MLB will be replaced, ordered it from Apple. I should get back my MBP in the beginning of next week. I'll let you know if I get a 2.0 GHz.. ;)

10. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

so no word on whether this extends to macbooks yet?

11. macrumors 6502a

Temujin

No word from Apple yet, so I guess it excludes the MB.

12. macrumors regular

Debating if I shoudl send mine in. Last time I sent mine in it came back with a 2.16 GHz. Not sure if the whine fix, if it is actually fixed is worth the chance of going back to 2.0 :).

Maybe if the new "fix" actually gets rid of it completely.

13. macrumors member

I too hesitated before sending mine in, after all my only issue with the MBP was the whine. It sure gets pretty hot, but hey it's not something I didn't expect so I'm cool with that.

I just hope the enclosure will come back as is, with no scratches or cosmectic anomaly whatsoever. I can't say I fully trust the Apple tech on that one, he sure doesn't care when he's dissecting my MBP to replace the MLB. *fingers crossed* ;)

14. macrumors regular

Just got my MBP back from repair after waiting a week for a new MLB. The whine is indeed gone!!! However, looks like they still spilled the thermal grease onto the chips as my laptop is hotter than ever. So looks like I will have to do a little operation on it again, but thank you apple for no more whine! Or at least whine that I can no longer hear.

15. macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

i have never had whine in my black MB but i did have moo but its gone

16. macrumors 6502

I got mine back with the new installation DVDs, however, mine still squeals like mad. It doesn't seem quite as bad as before but still not that much better.

17. macrumors 6502

Zombie Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]