Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
so i bought my MBP about 3 months ago. i noticed that the mbp's wireless connection was REALLY slow, so i automatically thought it was my d-link router. the wierd thing was that the G5 in the far corner room had no problems with the wireless connection. the other strange thing was that my mbp works perfectly on the wireless network at my workplace. but since i didnt need the wireless connection on my mbp that bad at the time, i would just directly connect the ethernet cable, and it worked fine.

well, now the wireless connection is very important to me, since i move around from room to room. i went out and bought a belkin router but had the same problem. then i bought a airport extreme, but it has the same problem. when it is directly connected to the router it works perfect, but the wireless is really slow, ie. yahoo.com takes at least 30 seconds to load, or apple.com takes around 2 minutes to load.

could it be a virus? could it be my network card? why would it work at some places and not in others??

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
It could be the aluminum case of your MBP that blocks the wireless signal. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened. It also explains why your iMac receives the signal, why the MBP can connect to the internet fast when directly connected, and why you got the same results with both the d-link and airport extreme router.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Have you tried the usual diagnostic steps - changing the wireless channel (significantly; not just 1 or 2 steps), toggling interference robustness, etc.? What type of security is on your home router?

I have a MBP as well, and the wireless reception on mine is quite good (significantly better than with my Powerbook) - so I don't think it's the laptop's design that's causing this.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
i did try the interference robustness and tried all 11 channels. i also tried the wireless with no security. no luck though.

i did notice that many people have this problem when i did a search here - but no one seemed to have a solution. i called apple care and spoke to several mac genius's, and they had no clue on what the problem was.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Since you state that your MBP works perfectly fine at your workplace, I'd be focusing on your router at home if I were you. What kind of speed decrease are we talking about here? Also, is it website-specific, or can you replicate it across all sites. Have you tried a Speedtest website to get an idea of the speed?

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
My MB wireless is all over the place and I've never worked out why. It work great in my house with my old router (which died).

It's rubbish with new router yet the iMac (sitting next to it) is fine. I goes fast when plugged in to the router with cat 5.

Tried it in Dublin airport the other day and wireless was screaming. Just don't understand it at all :confused:

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
i also noticed that many times the airport goes down to 4 bars, even though my mbp is less than a foot away from the airport extreme.

no one found a solution to this problem yet????

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Does it seem like it's slow to find the site, but then once it starts loading the site goes faster?

I have to enter the DNS entries for my ISP, or else my Macs go dog slow on the internet. Same thing with my Xbox360 and Wii. I think my router just does a crappy job of forwarding DNS requests. (Belkin router + Actiontec Gateway/DSL Modem)

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
after talking with around 5-6 people from apple, someone was finally able to help me fix this problem.

you have to go to your library folder and delete the systemconfiguration folder. the two settings that it will reset are your network and sleep settings. after that, you should be good to go.

it feels great to finally use my wireless network!!! :D

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I moved my G5 to another room of the house today and have been experiencing similar problems. My G5 sends out the wireless single to my MacBook Pro and my brother's MacBook. Yesterday we were able to surfer the net at normal highspeed, however today it's barely loading.

I deleted the Systemsconfiguration file and still nothing has worked for me.

Any suggestions would be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.