MBP with Hitachi's Hd run cooler?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arnolf, Dec 2, 2006.

1. arnolf macrumors newbie

Hi guys, Apple changed my MBP C2D due to an isight issue.The first one was equipped with fujitsu 120go drive but my new one has a hitachi one.
    I find the heat difference just awesome. The new one runs very cooler than the first one.
    Anyone noticed that too?

2. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

what are you basing the temps on? Touch? A monitor? And what part is cooler?

The hard drive is located in the front left corner, and it doesn't increase the overall system temp. I would bet that the real difference is a firmware version between he two notebooks.

3. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

Depends on your Hitachi drive, typically Fujitsu consumes less power because they target mostly OEM, but some Hitachi drives that spins slower (also OEM drives) also consume less power. Here is a good recent roundup at tomshardware. I wouldn't trust their CPU reviews, but their hard drive reviews are quite full-fledged. Note the top drive that consumes the least power is a Hitachi. All drives in this test are notebook drives.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/28/hard_drives_by_toshiba_and_western_digital_rev_up/page9.html

4. arnolf thread starter macrumors newbie

at touch, all the rear middle and left part seems very cool whereas it was very hot even at idle with my last mbp.
    actually all the machine stay very cool at touch.it's not comparable.
    the disk is a hitachi travelstar 5k160 but you re right the disk is front left corner so it seems not to be due to the disk.

5. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Sounds like you got an EFI update too. The last update changed the fan speeds and temp trigger points. :)