Mbp!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by karebihun, Jan 25, 2007.

1. karebihun macrumors newbie

finally! I finally decided to buy a MBP. I'm gonna sell this PoS PC Dell E1505 that I currently use.. tired of the overheating.. the AIM suddenly not showing my buddy list .. the stupid wireless internet interface.. The only problem now is that I want to wait for the new line of MBP's to come out. then i'll have to make a decision on either getting a 15 inch or a 12 inch. Any ideas on when the new line will come out? How much will it cost to upgrade from Tiger -> Leopard? and.. say if they come out on Feb 20 during the announcement whats the fastest way to actually get my hands on one of the first macbook pro's before they totally run out either online or in store? I'm a student so i can get out to the apple store on a tuesday morning :p

2. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Under the "Buyer's Guide" tab on MacRumors, they list both the Macbook and Macbook Pro as "neutral" for their buy rating. Meaning they're probably somewhere halfway through until the next models come out. So they're a pretty safe bet that new ones won't be out in like three weeks or anything like that.

Regarding the upgrade, if I'm remembering right OS X costs $70 or $80 for the new version with the educational discount from Apple (there could even be better pricing through your school).

Hearing about problems with an e1505 (which is a current model!) is pushing me further towards a Macbook Pro. It's kind of between that and an e1705 for me (and the e1705 seems to have random blue screens of death, going by Dell's forums).

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you're assuming apple even releases a 12" mbp which is still only rumored.

4. karebihun thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i guess you're right. i'll have to wait and "see" if the 12" MBP comes out after all. The ultra thin thing is kind of a turn off to me though, because i dont really want it to be ultra thin because i supposed it'd have to sacrifice a bunch of power and capability. oh well. I just hope the new macbook comes out on the feb 20th like some of the rumors were sayin :p

5. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

If its that bad, you would buy a new mac now because whatever you buy, its going to be better than what you already have.

6. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I was just assuming by 12" you meant the 13" Macbook. Any particular reason you wouldn't want that if you want the smaller sized screen? Basically the only difference between them is the real GPU on the Pro versus the Intel GMA 950 on the Macbook, which depending on what you use it for won't matter. Small computers like that only have something like a Geforce 7300 type chip at best anyway (and usually Intel's video).

7. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I wouldn't wait for another release - the new MBP's and MB's are just barely out. Maybe they'll release a 12" in the next few months, but i wouldn't hold my breath. And new MBP's probably won't come until Santa Rosa, which won't come out for a few months at least; plus given how long it took them to incorporate the C2D into the MBP's after it's release, i wouldn't bet on any new MBP's until say July/August.

Bottom line, it's better to buy when you need it, since no matter what you buy it'll be old soon enough. ;)

8. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Good point about July or August. That sounds about right, given the new platform coming out Mayish? (Or being announced in May?)

Regarding a 12" Macbook Pro...I don't get it. What would that be exactly that the Macbook isn't? I mean right now the big difference is the GPU, and the best a small Pro would have is a Geforce 7300 class GPU.