Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hi,

I'm trying to understand why my mbp tb 13" battery drains so damn fast.
So I got coconut battery to understand what's going on. It shows me 4359 mAh max capacity.
On average, if I do almost nothing, just have my standard range of apps open like "mail, messages, things and itunes (no music playing) and some apps in the menu, like dropbox, istat menues, 1password, and one safari window open, I have a drain at around 650 mAh.
At Display 50% that is.

that leaves me at approximately 6 hours of battery life, if you assume that it sometimes spikes a little because of an occasional youtube video or something more intense. It might easily go up to 792 mAh. 5 Hours is more like my actual experience with this machine at MAX.

What kind of values are you guys getting? Maybe I can identify some battery killer, if these values are out of line, or maybe this points to some software issue at hand? Cause I dont see ANY way to get to 10 hours of battery life. I dont know what appls to close...I dont feel this is anything out of the ordinary, but the battery can never reach the promised 10 hours like this!

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
When you are doing normal workload, does Activity Monitor show anything having a high "Energy Impact" on the Energy tab? Also check the brightness of the display which can really suck power.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
No, there's absolutely nothing with a significant energy usage. Safari and activity monitor itself being by far the highest values.
The display brightness right now is at 50%. (Wich is too dark for my taste)
Right now I really deactivated EVERYTHING except safari and istat menus wich doesnt seem to be able to be closed at all.
still have 582 mAh or 6.5 Watts.
It's not possible to get 10 hours like this. What kind of values are you guys getting? What could be my problem?

honeybadger1022

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2017
New machine? There we rumors of the spotlight indexing being a culprit of the batt drain for new machines. Beyond that you can try some of the beta's before giving up some anecdotal evidence to support them helping have popped up

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
New machine? There we rumors of the spotlight indexing being a culprit of the batt drain for new machines. Beyond that you can try some of the beta's before giving up some anecdotal evidence to support them helping have popped up
No It's been in use for a few weeks now.
I'd just really like to know some values from other users. Just to know if there's a software related issue that's pulling more watts out of the battery while doing almost nothing, then on other users machines.

I mean - seriously. My MacBook Air lasted 12 hours on similar workloads. What's pulling all this energy on this one? Ok the Retina display probably but besides?

honeybadger1022

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2017
No It's been in use for a few weeks now.
I'd just really like to know some values from other users. Just to know if there's a software related issue that's pulling more watts out of the battery while doing almost nothing, then on other users machines.

I mean - seriously. My MacBook Air lasted 12 hours on similar workloads. What's pulling all this energy on this one? Ok the Retina display probably but besides?

Sure, so take this for what its worth. I had a 13in tbMBP running my basic run of the mill apps I floated around 4-7 watts and peaked at 13 every now and again.

With my new 15in tbMBP its around the same running my typical apps, but can go as high as 16 for a few seconds. Hope you find the solution you are looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.