Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
I just wanted to pass this along some information from Apple today:

I called Apple Support about a colleague's MBPr with an LG screen and IR. He was concerned about the IR getting worse and wanted accurate information from Apple. Apple's support was great (as always) and our support person gave me some interesting information:

1. IR is expected but beyond 10 seconds is considered 'bad'.

2. All new MBPr are shipping with Samsung screens (as soon as the LG stock is gone).

3. You can take your MBPr to an Apple Store or an authorized repair shop to test if you have a bad display, however, Apple is now pushing for the work to be done at Apple. Many of the repairs done at the Apple Store or ARS are coming back with other issues.

Why?

She stated that Apple has determined the best course for replacement is a clean room environment because these other environments can cause issues with the Flash Storage(SSD)/Memory/Logic Board.

I was surprised about this because I knew that some Apple Stores were repairing them but she was adamant that Apple is now using clean room environments to reduce issues caused by swapping the display.

I didn't not give that much thought but I guess a clean room would be the best way to go here. The last thing anybody needs is contaminates shortening the life of the SSD/Memory/LB.

4. Repairs are carried out in 3 to 5 days.

5. I told her I was skeptical of getting it replaced but she said this three times: "if it was me *I* would have it done so it does not get worse".

Which leads me to believe that they must think it will get worse.

Being without the machine for 3 to 5 days is a real bummer when you depend on it for your classes/teaching.

Just wanted to pass along my phone conversation and information,

-P

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It may be worth grabbing either an older Mac (if you cannot be without one) or some cheap windows laptop for backup in cases like these. When dependent on something so much having a backup seems perfectly logical to me.

That being said, I would do the repair if I were you. If IR is as bad as the people on this site say, I would do the repair if Apple has somewhat acknowledged the problem.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Interesting news if your source is correct. I'm sure for commercial reasons Apple would love to switch to LG, Sharp, and AU Optronics completely, but if the IR issues are as bad as they seem with LG, they may be stuck with Samsung for a while.

I have a 13" rMBP that was manufactured in October (I bought it in late December). There is no script yet to identify the manufacturer, but I have not noticed IR as of yet. This gives me a little more confidence in case an issue develops later on.

iPersian

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
I just wanted to pass this along some information from Apple today:

I called Apple Support about a colleague's MBPr with an LG screen and IR. He was concerned about the IR getting worse and wanted accurate information from Apple. Apple's support was great (as always) and our support person gave me some interesting information:

1. IR is expected but beyond 10 seconds is considered 'bad'.

2. All new MBPr are shipping with Samsung screens (as soon as the LG stock is gone).

3. You can take your MBPr to an Apple Store or an authorized repair shop to test if you have a bad display, however, Apple is now pushing for the work to be done at Apple. Many of the repairs done at the Apple Store or ARS are coming back with other issues.

Why?

She stated that Apple has determined the best course for replacement is a clean room environment because these other environments can cause issues with the Flash Storage(SSD)/Memory/Logic Board.

I was surprised about this because I knew that some Apple Stores were repairing them but she was adamant that Apple is now using clean room environments to reduce issues caused by swapping the display.

I didn't not give that much thought but I guess a clean room would be the best way to go here. The last thing anybody needs is contaminates shortening the life of the SSD/Memory/LB.

4. Repairs are carried out in 3 to 5 days.

5. I told her I was skeptical of getting it replaced but she said this three times: "if it was me *I* would have it done so it does not get worse".

Which leads me to believe that they must think it will get worse.

Being without the machine for 3 to 5 days is a real bummer when you depend on it for your classes/teaching.

-P

weve heard things like this before only to understand it has not been correct.
guess coming week and months will prove if this one is false or not. my hunch is that its false unfortunately and apple will just carry on.

Hodge25

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2013
My MBPr has a samsung screen and I haven't experienced any ghosting. Disabled screen saver and had the same image on the screen for an hour and thankfully could not reproduce.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012

-P

Maybe it is time to really consider depending on something else than faulty / full of hassle gadgets huh? When I was in university, I only carried around books and pencils.

Newfiejudd

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
Maybe it is time to really consider depending on something else than faulty / full of hassle gadgets huh? When I was in university, I only carried around books and pencils.

Sorry about your luck.. This is a new era, and society has moved on. No offence, but I can carry a 1000 books in one PC. So why would I even carry a book? Don't get me wrong from your statement I would assume we are of similar age, and with that said I can't, nor would I expect to work/learn in an environment where they would expect me to do things MANUALLY (pen and paper). It's progression and evolution. Either we stay current or fall behind, it's the way we live now as a society :)

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Sorry about your luck.. This is a new era, and society has moved on. No offence, but I can carry a 1000 books in one PC. So why would I even carry a book? Don't get me wrong from your statement I would assume we are of similar age, and with that said I can't, nor would I expect to work/learn in an environment where they would expect me to do things MANUALLY (pen and paper). It's progression and evolution. Either we stay current or fall behind, it's the way we live now as a society :)

Well, those who know they have options and choices will do as they please. I know there are options and I exercise my free will to choose and not be subject to just following the so called "stay current or fall behind". There is no such thing, there is always a balance and harmony in natural life. I love to have one or two books at a time, one or few albums to listen to when I go out. Just because there is technology out there to carry around a billion songs and volumes of music at a time doesn't mean do it means I am "with the times and moving ahead". There are great things still being produced and things being done with previous technology. Progress and evolution is great in natural life circumstances. Technology with regards to gadgets as discussed at lengths in this forum however have now become means to waste more, consume more and produce less relevant things. Therefore there is no progress only an illusion of it because you're buying more and doing more of the same things on them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.