Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Does anyone know if Macbook Pros support HDCP for content protection?

I've tried searching for it but seems like I got no leads.. since HDCP will be required for viewing HD content in all its glory I've already started getting ready for it so I won't be left out when the transition comes :D

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I'm 99% sure that they don't. But as they don't have HD DVD or Blue Ray drives either it's not really an issue. They will happily play 1080p (or any of the lesser resolution HD formats) via DVI from other sources like Quicktime though.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
There was an article a while ago about how both ATi and Nvidia claim that they support HDCP, but it turns out that although they have some low level functions built in, there are no drivers that support it, and they are still missing a key part required in HDCP (if I recall correctly, some unique ID or something). There was also some issue with no governing body in place distribute these IDs

In the end, what it means is that although the GPU supports it, no add-in board or driver supports it.

So basically, no...no computer supports it. Also, you'd need a display that supports it, and only a couple models do. The only ones I know of are Dell's "7" models...so the 30" "3007" and the upcoming replacements for the 20 and 24 inch.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
generik said:
Does anyone know if Macbook Pros support HDCP for content protection?

I've tried searching for it but seems like I got no leads.. since HDCP will be required for viewing HD content in all its glory I've already started getting ready for it so I won't be left out when the transition comes :D

They don't need to support it.

HDCP encrypts video signals between the graphics card and the monitor. On a notebook computer, or on a computer with integrated display like the iMac, the video signal between graphics card and monitor is not accessible, so it doesn't need to be encrypted. All a notebook computer has to do is to disable output to any unencrypted connectors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.