Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaLurker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Currently my Mac OS X sits on a hard drive which uses a MBR scheme for partitioning whilst the default scheme for the Mac OS X is using GUID. I was wondering whether there is any performance, stability and or other advantages to using GUID vs MBR? Should I convert back to GUID or should I just stick with the MBR on my partition?

Thanks

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
There certainly aren't any performance or stability advantages one way or another. The only practical advantage I can think of is the use of the Boot Camp Wizard. I don't think you can use it or resize partitions on an MBR volume. I may be mistaken though.

DaLurker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
There certainly aren't any performance or stability advantages one way or another. The only practical advantage I can think of is the use of the Boot Camp Wizard. I don't think you can use it or resize partitions on an MBR volume. I may be mistaken though.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for :) And you're correct on the Boot Camp Wizard as well. When I attempt to run the wizard, it says It can't repartition the drive for whatever reason, actually its because I was runnning this wizard that I went to check out my partition scheme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.