McCain: Roe V. Wade Should Be Overturned

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

CBS

Wow. From moderate-conservative gadfly to a far-right Reagan conservative? That's quite a transformation.

As to the main point of the article, this pretty much knocks out McCain as a serious contender. If he could win the nomination while holding this stance, he'd still find a distinct majority of the country disagreeing with him.

I notice he's a born-again strict constructionist, too.

Good luck with all of that.:rolleyes:

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i did at one point too. but hes a true-blood politician. he'll say what he thinks he needs to say to get elected. but this also has shown that he'll say what goes with the current trend to improve his image.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is this really a big surprise, All politicians are going to say what ever they need to get the party support behind them. Its all about say what it takes to get the nomination. This is why I hate the primary system. Just make it every person for himself and let the public decide not the party.

A politician is nothing more then a rich car salesman, make the deal no matter what it takes.

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Annnnnd just when I thought I couldn't hate my Senator even more.

Ugh. He needs to lose his seat next time he's up for re-election.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If you would have told me 6 years ago I would vote for Hillary over this guy, I would have laughed in your face. I was worried the general population would still think McCain was a moderate, despite all evidence to the contrary, but this is just going to lose him the moderates while the fundies won't even consider him anyway. The moderates conservatives in his home state are the ones who are sick of him, and they're the ones with the power. He doesn't really have much of a chance with either now. Doubt he'll make it past the primaries anyway, and now I'm thinking he won't survive his next state term either.

Oh how the mighty fall.

6. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Without a party system and the primary, we'd have Presidents that won with 3% of the vote. There's got to be a system that filters down the candidates before the final decision is made.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This guy is toast. Any credibility he may have had is shot. I really thought he was one of the smarter Republicans. What a fool. He's going to lose everybody.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

no one will turn over roe v wade. it will always be legal to have an abortion.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Legal, or Constitutionally protected? In some states no doubt it will remain legal, but I have equally no doubt that this Supreme Court will whittle away at the Constitutional protections at every opportunity.

As for McCain, anyone who believed that he was an actual moderate hasn't been paying much attention. He's been pandering to the social conservatives in his party for a long time.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

It should stay legal. I dont know why it should be constitutionally protected, but women should have the choice. I dont like abortion but that doesnt mean it should be illegal. I don't think that any girl under 18 should be able to get an abortion without parental consent though.

11. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I think you meant "don't".

I still think that everyone has the choice whether to become pregnant or not, but once the choice is made then you have to live with it. I'm willing to treat rape and incest as a separate issue, but abortion as an after the fact version of birth control I just don't see.

I think that the right to ingest whatever dope you want into your body in the privacy of your own home is more constitutionally justified than the "right" to remove a fetus, but then that's just the way I read it. Funny thing how one of them is a "right" and the other will land you in jail.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

thank you.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Neither one should land you in jail.

14. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

When it comes to abortion I'm very much in the Bill Hicks school of thinking:

Crude, but it would work. Like stopping wars.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I know MANY people who would take an unwanted baby.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think anyone with a full head of grey/white hair should be voted out of Office. It should be a requirement. The seperation between McCains Nose and Bush's Rear End is getting smaller, smaller and smaller. If there is anything I cant stand its a brownnoser. McCain is a BrownNoser.

We dont need to go backwards in time for pandering politicians.

17. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Something on which most Democrats and Republicans can agree. Nobody "likes" abortion, but the solution isn't to ban it, but to make it as unnecessary as possible.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Abortion was illegal in many places before Roe, and doubtless will once again become illegal in many places if Roe is overturned. So does that change your opinion about the Constitutional protection question at all?

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'll think about it, meanwhile here is the roe v wade decision.

20. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Exactly.

I had a long debate with a lobyist a few months ago about why John McCain was a better senator than Jon Kyl. I can't stand Kyl and at he time I really admired McCain...

looks like I am now eating my hat.

- Doc

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Jon Kyl is just as bad. They're both terrible.

22. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

while i agree that mccain will lose the moderates, or a lot of them, i think he will win over many fundamentalists

fundamentalists are a very forgiving lot when it comes to politics...many wanted a more "religious" candidate in 2000, but when they were stuck with george w bush, they backed him all the way as if they were with him all along

the same will happen with mccain or guiliani, or whoever the republican nominee happens to be...most fundamentalists don't want any democrat in the white house

i believe there are far more moderates than there are fundamentalists, so mccain pretty much lowered his stock among the american people and hurt his candidacy

reagan talked a big line for pro life in 1980, but when it came time for re-election and he knew many americans were pro choice, he did very little, or nothing at all to work towards repealing roe vs. wade

reagan, like any candidate vying for a second term, will not rock the boat...clinton could have pushed more for gay rights, but when it came time for another term, he left the issue alone

mccain, unfortunately for him, has rocked the boat twice (not only with being openly pro life this late in the game which looks suspicious, but being for the surge in iraq)