McDonald's: No Deal To Announce

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Nov 6, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

MacMinute notes a press release from McDonald's which responds to today's rumor about the McDonald's and iTunes giveaway.

According to McDonalds, "There are no agreements to announce, so anything else is pure speculation."

McDonald's goes on to say that they are continuing to pursue "bold new initiatives in the areas of music, sports, fashion and entertainment" and that news can be expected in the coming weeks to months.

2. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

This is very much a non-statement.

They don't say anything except there is no official deal announced yet.

arn

3. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

I would like to announce that I'm not officially buying a lot of quarter pounders and I'm also not officially gaining ten pounds. This is all pure speculation.l

4. macrumors 68000

Hmph.

Shouldn't this have been on Page 2 rumors then? Since it was unconfirmed? Just curious. :)

5. macrumors regular

I would think this would be a boost for McDonald's biz. They may be pulling an Apple tactic and somehow this got released before they wanted to announce, isn't the Monoply thing still going on, why would they want to step on their own clown feet...

6. macrumors regular

Sorry for the second reply to this but I fully announce that if Apple and McDonalds do this I will gain 15 pounds and eat all my meals there. I've got to maintain my belly and music somehow...

7. macrumors 68020

srobert

Re: Hmph.

Is'nt a confirmed rumor not a rumor anymore? Just teasing :)

8. macrumors 6502a

Wasn't there a movie where someone said that you shouldn't believe a rumor until somebody denies it?

9. macrumors 65816

Not called off but about to be annouced.

After posting that there's no deal on Yahoo. Yahoo posts this
    http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/031106/bw_leisure_mcdonalds_downloads_2.html

shortly after.

This says to me that it's about to be annouced but someone leaked the info.
    Apples stock just went up with talk about this deal and so did McDonalds.

10. macrumors 68020

srobert

Ahah! Funny

[​IMG]

1) 10:23 AM — New York Post announces a 1000000000 McDonalds iTMS give avay — Apple stocks go up.

2) 1:58 PM — McDonals make non-statement statement — Apple stocks go down.

3) 2:30 PM — Yahoo says that the deal was about to be annonced when it was leaked — Apple stock start going up again.

Might be just a coincidence but funny anyway.

edit: by the way, I love how this graph updates in real time. ^_^

11. macrumors regular

Steamboatwillie

... Hamburgler wipes his brow and lets out a sigh of relief whilst firing up Kaaza again on his PC.

12. macrumors 68000

Re: Re: Hmph.

Well, I feel stupid. :)

I just remember reading somewhere that Page 2 was for unconfirmed stuff.....:confused:

13. macrumors 601

krossfyter

so can someone state the obvious conclusion to all this?

100 million songs from apple at 99cents each?!!

14. macrumors 68020

srobert

Page two is for rumors of uncertain reliablity.

This rumor came form the New York Post.

In a way, you're right... New York Post is far from reliable ;) But this one was too juicy a rumor to let sink on page two I guess.

15. macrumors newbie

integrity

This is my first post on macrumors, but have been reading the boards for months now, I felt strongly about this issue, so decided to start writing.

Is anyone else concerned about the "integrity" of Apple's corporate image? Neither Pepsi nor McDonald's are known for their corporate liability, care for consumers or attempts to make the best products available.

Does anyone else agree that Apple is "selling out" (definitely not in a serious way). For those that have loved Apple for years because of its promise not to act like Windoze/Microsoft and do anything to make money, whether or not it screws the customer.

After reading "Fast Food Nation", I cannot support McDonald's or any other fast food chain, and hope that Apple doesn't create a corporate "connection" with them.

Now I know this is all a relatively small matter - but it does show something about the changing face of Apple.

16. macrumors 601

krossfyter

yeah apple wants switchers they have to change a bit to do that. old tactics dont apply here. by the way welcome to the boards pb12.

17. macrumors newbie

Re: integrity

No. Don't be stupid. Apple is a corporation. Their only goal is to make money.

18. macrumors member

Steve's Sales Pitch

Steve Jobs to Mayor McCheese - Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling artery clogging hamburgers, or do you want a chance to change the world?

Attached Files:

19. macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: Re: integrity

of course. but just because of the money thing one shouldn't so easily equate them on the same level of microsoft. there is a big line between the two in terms of bringing in money.

20. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Well, the question is... do these promotions really affect Apple's image?

I don't necessarily think so... these giveaways aren't really seen as an Apple-thing so much as a McDonald's or Pepsi thing. Sure, they are giving away Apple stuff... but there are tons of cheesy giveaways out there that give away "cool" stuff. It just means that "stuff" is in demand.

arn

21. macrumors newbie

Clearly they ARE "just a corporation" and that has become clearer through these deals with Pepsi and possibly McD's.

But I guess my question is what is happening to their corporate image - even if it isn't true that they would sacrifice money for "integrity" or whatever. I understand they want money, and I WANT Apple to be profitable... but at what cost?

22. macrumors newbie

There's a small conflict of interest at play here too - remember, McD's has an exclusivity deal with Coke. Now, while both companies independently marketing the same thing (iTMS), I have no doubt the folks at Coke would be mighty upset to see the two companies in the same sentence. Although its a separate thing, it's sure going to come off as being a three way marketing agreement.

23. macrumors 6502

appleguy

iTMS

This is getting sickening... we keep hereing about Music stores opening up.. free give aways but only to US residents... America is not the only country in the world.. How about sharing the love with some of the other people... After all we buy Apple Macs Too...

24. macrumors member

the reason itunes, and all the others, has nothing to do with "america first", it's all about LEGAL AGREEMENTS to sell into other markets. Overtime that will be worked out, but until they solve it - limewire, poisoned are the only answers... they loose revenue until this is fixed.

25. iPC
    macrumors 6502

iPC

Or Coke says "I see your dime, and raise you to a dollar." ;)

Not to mention www.cokemusic.com downloads are partnered with AOLMusic. Isn't AOL going to use Apple as a music provider?