McDonald's to offer gourmet coffee

Discussion in 'Community' started by jsw, Jan 10, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

From CNN:

Oh, yeah. When I think "gourmet coffee", I think "7-Eleven and Dunkin' Donuts". :rolleyes:

No matter how good the coffee beans are, Micky D's will find a way to burn it to the same carbonized goo that they currently offer.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is surprising, thought that McDonald's was the top it it's field. There shops are always busy. I also wouldn't think of McDonald's when I wanted a good cup of coffee. Starbuck's is my favorite, the best around IMHO.

3. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

McD's in Canada already offeres "gourmet" coffee. Its called McCafe. Its not bad but you gotta make sure its fresh.

But nothing beats a Tim Hortons coffee.. NOTHING....

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

It's all relative. That is, when you're eating an Egg McMuffin or Hotcakes with Sausage on a styrofoam platter, pretty much anything will taste like "gourmet coffee."

5. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

My point exactly - it never seems to be fresh when I'm forced to get it (long trips, no good options). It's like some new quantum law that states that McDonald's coffee will always taste as though it has been on the burner for four hours, no matter when you buy it.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So if I spill some hot gourmet coffee on myself, do I get to sue for douple the money. :rolleyes:

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Oh wow I hate the end of their commercials...

"Always fresh is Tim Horton's!"

grrrrrrrr.........it gets stuck in my head for days when I hear it. Arg.

8. G-Prime macrumors member

I'll second that. Tim Hortons coffe is best cup of coffee I have ever had at a restaurant.

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Hey, if you had to drink the coffee we serve at work, you'd think DD WAS gourmet! :eek:

10. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Well seeing as though I think McDonalds coffee is probably the worst coffee I have ever had...Anything would be an improvement.

Though I usually just make my own at home, and bring extra to work in a thermos

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Who is this guy? Is he someone that we all know? :D

Is Tim Horton a Canadian brand?

12. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yup. Although Buffalo natives (and others?) have them as well.

13. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Timmies is a Canadian institution... I would say 1 in 3 people hit timmies on their way to work in the morning for an excelent cup of coffee... Ive only stumbled on a few timmies in the USA one being in Ohio (hit it whenever im going to Mid-Ohio race track).

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Well, ridicule me if you like, but I love Dunkin Donuts' coffee.
    I get coffee from there every morning.
    Wouldn't touch Mickey D's coffee even if it was all there was.

I'll drink Starbucks, but I'd rather have Dunkin Donuts
    I don't know that I would call it gourmet, but I would call it good!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever seen the words 'gourmet' and 'McDonalds' used in the same sentence.

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

OK ;)

Dunkin' Donuts coffee? I suppose you'd rather toast frozen waffles than make them fresh? You probably don't even own a Mac because, heck Windows XP is pretty good, right? Sheesh.

Aw, you know I'm just kidding. Heck, I prefer a good cup of coffee over some latte crap any day.

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Ouch... you really know how to hurt a dawg!

I just think Starbucks is too bitter. DD is much smoother.
    Now if I want something with a bite, I'll opt for Starbucks and pay the premium price for it :rolleyes: But for my money and taste, its DD. I could care less about the "image" or anything else. I just want it to taste good, wake me up and not break the bank!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

18. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

That would be because Starbucks actually brews with something called coffee beans. ;)

DD is smooth because, well, it's apparently just water with brown coloring added (don't want to think about that). When I drink my Starbucks venti black-eye (20 oz coffee with two added shots of espresso), I know I've had some coffee. When I drink DD "coffee", I can never be sure.

19. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Isn’t that called a “red eye?” Or is that just your traditional post-brawl drink? ;)

20. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Alright, don't mess with my coffee!
    *Growling, with teeth showing*

I'm secure with myself and my image :cool:
    I don't need to spend a fortune on something that hurts just to drink it in order to make a fashion statement!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

21. takao macrumors 68040

takao

and i thought "starbucks is mcdonalds of coffee, only worse" looks like they are better ones in the US

22. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

FWIW, 'Dawg, I'd rather drink Dunkin Donuts coffee than Starbucks, too. Starbucks is okay, but I'm a regular coffee kind of guy. That froufrou candyass whipped cinnamon mocha latte mumbojumbo stuff is too darn pretentious and expensive for me! ;)

23. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Here, a "black eye" is coffee with two added espresso shots, and a "red eye" has one.

It's not "official" terminology, so I'd imagine it varies regionally.

24. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

There, there, Dawg - I'd never think to mess with a man's coffee. I was only messing with your choice of Dunkin' Donuts' coffee-type hot beverage. ;)

And I'm secure enough with myself and my image to drink Starbucks without feeling pretentious - but I only get it a few times a week - coffee is expensive when it's the real thing! ;)

I agree. Coffee should not be prepared with anything except, well, coffee. Although I do add a bit of cream and sugar... it's just too harsh otherwise. ;)