McFat Class-Action Tossed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sun Baked, Jan 22, 2003.

1. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Look's like these McFools will have to try some other method to make money.

2. macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    now i want to see prosecution of the parents who let their children eat at mcD's for child abuse, endangerment... they control the kid's life, not a food chain.

3. thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

HUGE problem

Here is an update to the meal sizes I talked about last time, the last one I saw was based on the actual size of the plates sold to restaurants.

This one is a JAMA study.

4. macrumors regular

This is going to sound cruel but I thought that whoever filed this lawsuit should be fed to death like in the movie "Seven". Freaking morons.

5. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I can't believe that people actually filed a lawsuit over that. Dumb people.:p

6. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

The law does not exist to protect idiots from harming themselves. Nor does it exist to financially reward idiocy.

7. thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What country are you living in?

In the US they do exactly that, and the results are warning labels on everthing in sight.

But Darwin still manages to reward idiots who find new and novel methods to defeat warning labels, bubble wrap, and safety devices of all sorts.

8. macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Remember that old lady who won a multi-million dollar lawsuit against McDonald's a number of years ago.

She ordered a coffee, she was a passenger in a car going through the drive through, and she put it inbetween her legs. They were driving along and had to stop short and she spilled coffee all over her lap burning herself pretty badly.

She sued McDonald's, and won, because the coffee was too hot.

I don't know what's worse, the fact that she sued or the fact that a jury actually awarded her the money.

9. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Seems today blame everyone but yourself for the stupid things you do! I guess that why we have Mclawyers. And as a class of people if you can call them that --they make the most for doing the absolute least!! I have more respect for drifters. even ambulance chasers is to good of term for them because that term implys they are doing something with their legs!

10. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Exactly my point. The US is misusing the law. It doesn't exist to protect people from their own stupidity, but people use it for that.

11. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

actually, in this case things are different.

mcdonald's was heating their coffee to higher temperatures than is allowed (or at least safe) in order to make the aroma of coffee stronger, and thus lure people into buying it... this increased coffee sales there.

it is not because the coffee was hot. but because it was TOO hot. she got very serious burns. these aren't the kind of burns that come about with some hot coffee you spill. these are burns from coffee that is above the "normal" temperature by a long ways.

therefore, this whole "mcdonalds made me fat" case is entirely different.

the coffee one was a typical problem with the media.... tell just enough to get people's attention, but don't go into it enough to tell the whole truth.

but now maybe it's a bit clearer.

12. macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

and thankfully, the coffee lady's damages were lowered after the fact from however many million to a couple hundred thousand. of course, this was buried on page 36, if reported at all. so now people think they can sue, and win millions, w/o knowing that it doesn't always last. the media creates greed and clogs the court systems. wow. i never thought of that before. as if i didn't dislike the media enough already...

13. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

In defense of the legal system, while it's certainly misused all the time and very stupidly so, lawyers are still required for a civilized society. Otherwise the only way we'd settle disputes is with violence in the streets. So don't be attacking the profession of law, just the lawyers that bastardize it.

14. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

again, in the case of the mcdonalds coffee burning the woman, the lawyers were not bastardizing it, and neither was the woman.

i don't think anyone attacks the profession of law either.... if anything i'm defending it... my brother is about to graduate from law school and start working to prosecute companies that abuse environmental laws and such, and thus cause disease and death in innocent people..... so i'm all for that type of lawyer for sure.

i just read some more specifics about the mcdonalds case that no one here seems to realize... if anyone's interested, i will type in from the book, the various stats.

15. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I was speaking in general, and not about the coffee scalding case (which I recognize was valid).

I also wanted to take the opportunity to go off about how crucial to a civilized society lawyers actually are :)

16. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

indeed...

and while many lawsuits are questionable in intent, many of them have very good consequences... not to beat it to death, but as in the case of the coffee... the woman sued for medical costs... something like 20k... not much at all really. just covering what she had to pay, not making up for the wrong done... and it was the jury that awarded her 2.7 million in punitive damages.... that amount was chosen because that is how much mcd's makes a day in coffee sales... and that was to send them a message, that they can't admittedly burn hundreds of people with their nearly 200º coffee and not face some consequenecs.... the judge brought it down to 640k... but it definitely sent mcd's (and others) a message not to ignore their own wrongdoings.

likewise, while i'm not sure how i feel about all the tobacco lawsuits in general, certainly the early ones, by people who were a bit older and weren't properly warned about the effects, though the cig companies did know... those suits have done a good deal in furthering the information that people have access to regarding the contents of cigs and the effects of smoking... so that plus side goes way beyond just the monetary compensation the victims may have received.. and helps prevent further need for such... to some extent