McLaren is F1's biggest spender

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Jun 17, 2006.

1. iGav macrumors G3

That's surprising... I expected Toyota and Honda to be ponying up the most £€$ on their F1 program, though I expect the rivarly between themselves and BMW has somewhat influenced Mercedes spending.

1. McLaren Mercedes $400 million
    2. Toyota $393 million (that's a lot to spend when you're cheating)
    3. Honda $382 million
    4. BMW Sauber $378 million
    5. Ferrari $329 million
    6. Renault $300 million
    7. Red Bull Racing $201 million
    8. Williams $134 million
    9. Super Aguri $95 million
    10. MF1 $76 million
    11 Scuderia Toro Rosso $66 million

Dinky link

2. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

... and not going anywhere.

I'd like to see a breakdown of what each team is paying per championship point.

MF1 and Super A are really paying a lot.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Can you explain how Toyota is cheating please?

I'm not really following the season this year.

4. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I'm not 100% sure what he meant either but found this link:

http://thef1blog.wordpress.com/tag/teams/toyota/

Funny thing is Toyota talking about not being wanted and may quite. Wasn't Renault talking about quitting the year before they found the championship formula. :rolleyes:

In the recent past we heard alot about Ferrari's flexing wing so I thought it was interesting reading Peter Sauber commenting on the other teams using flexing wings. Funny, I don't remember Varsha and his pal's mentioning them? :(

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Ferrari seems to have cut back quite a bit from a few years ago.

6. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

7. bartelby macrumors Core

Well they do have a second team to run now.

8. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I work in Formula One and all I can say is these figures are very wide of the mark. Some teams on this list spend a lot more than is given out here but they are given 'donations' by parent companies to reduce the costs, or development costs are given to other projects that are not covered by the F1 budget.

Also I am interested in the claim that Toyota cheat. I know McLaren, Ferrari and BMW have all been asked to replace flexi wings but not Toyota. I suppose at the end of the day ever team cheats to a certain extent, it is just if they get caught!

9. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Toyota cheating?? I don't know what he was referring to, but I do recall a flap a year or to ago involving Ferrari?

Flexi-wing:

Former Sauber principal Peter Sauber, meanwhile, told ‘Sport Bild’ that - not including Ferrari, BMW-Sauber and McLaren - at least three other teams were running dubious ‘flexi’ wings in Malaysia.

‘RTL’ suggested that Honda and Toyota could be two of Sauber’s three.

(from the link I posted above)

10. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

??? Are you referring to the engine deal?

11. bartelby macrumors Core

Sorry, I left off the "cynical" emoticon.

12. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I think people need to look at this flexi wing issue. Every team has wings that flex, it is the nature of the car that wings flex when such high loads are applied to an aerodynamic surface. What some teams have been doing is using this flex to their advantage and not doing anything to stop it. As from the Canadian GP next weekend every team will have to run a spacer which will prevent excessive flex of the rear wing.

13. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

A few seasons ago, Toyota poached Ferrari staff, those staff took Ferrari technical data and software to Toyota, it is alledged that Toyota knowingly used Ferrari's data and software in the Wind Tunnel to develop "their" car.

Toyota have refused to return the data back to Ferrari, because of the work that they have done on "their" data since then.

Toyota have a colourful history of cheating in motorsport *cough*WRC*cough* really it's amazing that any race series allows their participation.

A couple of teams are apparantly on record as saying that the estimates are pretty much bang on.

Of course the figures are only estimates, but I'd be surprised if the order was dramatically different.

14. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Hopefully the actions by the FIA will bring the flexing wings saga to a close. excessive flex???

I only posted the Sauber comment because all you ever heard about was Ferrari and their cheating ways not much about the rest. Oh well, another episope is coming to an end I wonder what's next?

15. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Buttongate III :p

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

They did before.

17. andym172 macrumors 6502

This is indeed correct, but Ferrari are possibly the biggest cheats ever to enter motorsport.

Toyota are veritable angel's in comparison... :)

Also, I'd bet my house on Ferrari being F1's biggest spenders. I'd guesstimate their spending being 1.5x that of any of the other teams.

18. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Did you see the first post in this thread? I know in the past Ferrari ran the largest budget, but that was when most if not all the other teams were using third party engines.

19. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Good one. Didn't I recently read something like 'we'd still sign him' from Williams? Guess they need a few more bucks.

20. andym172 macrumors 6502

Indeed I did :) I'm questioning the information.

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I love the smell of unfounded claims in the morning.

er, afternoon.

22. andym172 macrumors 6502

Lol :)

It depends whether or not you see The FIA (and Oswald Jnr) as a totally independent body ;)

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, they're supposed to be, but Max is still being used as Bernie's puppet. They can't decide whether keeping Ferrari around is good or bad.

24. andym172 macrumors 6502

Being totally independent, and supposed to be independent are two totally different things. I'd suggest the latter being more apt in this case ;)

I think Oswald Jnr and Bernie decided many years ago their preference for having Ferrari in F1. As a result, the other F1 teams currently PAY Ferrari to take part. How unbelievable is that?!

25. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

It must be the cost of the chrome paint 'cause God knows where else McLaren are spending their money.