McMissile Woman almost gets two years in jail

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by floriflee, Feb 21, 2007.

1. floriflee macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004

I read about the pending judgement last Sunday, and thought it was a bit extreme. Now I'm curious to see if the other alleged charges against her pan out.
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    two years is a bit extreme. although personally i'd rather see her drivers license suspended/revoked for life.
  3. Lyle macrumors 68000

Jun 11, 2003
    Madison, Alabama
    Not sure how I feel about this. I mean, would you still feel that the sentence was too extreme if the attack had caused an accident?
  4. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Or too lenient if the car that was on the receiving end of the missile had actually caused an accident by their carelessness?
  5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    Shouldn't the sentence fit the crime? If there was an accident, then sure, put her away, since there wasn't, community service and a modest damage award is probably all that's needed. I don't know what her prior history was but if this was a first offense, then it's way too harsh of a sentence.
  6. floriflee thread starter macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004
    Shouldn't the circumstances of the situation generally be taken into consideration when sentencing? Obviously, I realize that there was the potential for greater harm than what actually occurred, but somehow I feel like this was a situation where a little mercy was justified. Had there been an accident or death as a result I would certainly expect a harsher punishment.

I guess the question becomes how would you dance the fine line between having a strong enough sentence to discourage others from doing the same thing expecting little or no harm to be done (i.e. not fully considering the potential consequences) and not making the punishment so harsh that the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime at hand?
  7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    I don't know about this, she deserves the time in jail.

Throwing McDonald's at people could be extremely lethal, especially if the victim accidentally swallows some of it.

Don't we have a lot of lawsuits by people that have been injured by swallowing McDonald's food?

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

Feb 12, 2005
    This reminds me of the time somebody threw a cup of ice at my car on the freeway after I honked the horn at the person who cut me off. :confused:

Prison time? I don't think so. Perhaps several hours of community service and revocation of her license for a year or two or five will teach her not to act like a child on the road.
  9. floriflee thread starter macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004
    One thing I thought was interesting was that even the people who's car she threw the cup into thought the two year sentence was a bit harsh.