MCP train...its painful

Discussion in 'Community' started by SiliconAddict, Mar 19, 2004.

1. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

So last fall our company required all of its IT staff nation wide to be A+ certified by Dec 31st Being the good little lackey that I am I complied and got certed Dec 30th. Ya ya ya. I know. I cut it a bit close.
    Now they are requiring that we get out MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) for Windows 2000 Professional because it’s the OS we currently use nation wide. Again being the good little employee I dive into the material this afternoon. And all I can say is…Wow. Can you say fud-o-rama? I mean the material is almost physically painful to read due to the overwhelming amount **** being spread around. I mean it reads more like an advertisement for Windows then a training manual.
    Admittedly when the company who writes the book is the owner of the OS there obviously is some biasness involved the online training is just as bad! And its by a 3rd party vendor. Through it all I almost needed a piece of leather to bit down on to shut up. I’ve ended up talking to myself usually uttering rather colorful, yet tame, words with my coworkers popping out of there office wondering what’s up.
    Oh nothing. Just reading the wonderful book of FUD.

Maybe its by brain trying to contridict the brainwashing?!? :eek:

Just wondering if anyone has gone through Apple’s training and if it’s as bad when it comes to horn tooting?

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

haha- i've heard the same complaint from a few of my friends... sorry, don't know anything about the apple situation... but its GOT to be better ;)

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

for some organizations and businesses, a certification is good but it does not make you a better tech...as you prolly know by now ;)

i got my mcp to make my business better and it has helped some in getting clients

for companies in private industry, in the cert's highpoint in the late 90s, it was better for advancement and job placement than a cs degree...but since dot.com crash and distrust with high tech in general on wall street, a degree, even in cs, is still a degree and it shows one can stick to something for 4 years and that's good for getting consistent employees

but if IT ever heats up again and it comes back, then the certs will generate those ridiculously high salaries they used to command and make a degree seem small by comparison

the best bet is to get both to cover the high times (certs) and the slow times (degrees)