Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Murdock6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
I have a Mirrored Door dual 1 ghz G4. When I went to wake it this morning, I usually only put it to sleep, I noticed it had powered down. I pressed the power button and it did nothing. I then changed the power cord and when I plugged it back in the fans started blowing but that's all that happened. I don't know if you've ever heard a MD with all the fans going (wind tunnel) but that's what happens if I plug in the power cord now. Could it be related to the power supply? Fans all seem to work fine.

Murdock6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Sounds like you've heard the old 'wind tunnel' before. What I find strange is that now if I plug in the computer, without even touching the power button, all I hear are fans and then the wind tunnel. I had an old Quicksilver years ago stop booting up like this one and I just scrapped it for parts but I would like to figure this out if I can. I realize it could be a number of things, processor, power supply, motherboard, ect. I guess I'll try the battery, I just replaced it a couple weeks ago, and go from there. I did find a similar post about the MD but it wasn't doing the whole thing with the fans. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Murdock6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
I changed the battery and reset the pram and it's up and running again. My crappy day just got a little less crappy but there's always tomorrow.

kostis.gr

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2010
wind tunel plus abnormal shut down

we own a similar Mac ( g4, 1.25 GHz). It used to boot up and work normally
for many years. Since last month shuts down while on job..
Firstly i noticed that time was not correct and i replaced the small 1/2 AA battery and reset as u do. The time now is ok but is still shuts down without any profound reason...
The tower power led goes first off and then the monitor one. Some times we hear a "wind tunel" better "blower" sound. Pressing power button again boots
and some times goes to OS prompt where we write " mac-boot" and sometimes boots normally.
My friend insisted that the machine boots up without pressing power switch...
I didnt believe him .. but is true. One day our Mac was switched off for sure and out of the blue boots... i dont believe in ghosts :)
I am planning to replace power supply and fan, is a good idea??

Thanks in Adnance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.