mdimport, and iCal, AdBook, iSync, etc, etc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mkrishnan, Oct 26, 2005.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think I have this problem licked, but I just wanted to bounce it off of everyone... I was having trouble with the iCal widget and with iCal crashing, and I rebooted. Upon reboot, I had the following problems:

- iCal would invariably lock if run
    - Address Book would invariably lock if run
    - iSync would hang before making a connection to my phone
    - iCal Events would hang on the preferences side of the widget

I screwed around with plists and so on, to no avail. After that I even started having trouble with Mail.app sending messages. Oddly, Safari and Adium continued to work fine, and Mail.app could read existing messages.

I finally noticed in my activity monitor, that mdimport was using a huge proportion of system resources. Killing it seems to have addressed the problem (it restarted automatically at a normal utilization level). After that, all the aforementioned apps and widget seem to work normally.

Whew! Unfortunately, resetting sync history was something I tried while trying to find a fix. So right now, iSync is slowly getting all the data from my cell phone. I think I've done this before, and the result was not disastrous in the sense of data loss in iCal or AdBook. So if that works, I am back out of the woods. But mein Gott in Himmel! :(

Anyways, wanted to share. Anyone else have this problem? Do I need to do anything else? Strange that a problem with an out-of-control instance of mdimport would persist over a reboot.

2. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The iSync finished automatically without giving me any tough prompts about which data source to trust, so it looks like I'm fine. Also doesn't seem to be any missing data on either my phone or my computer. Whew! Hope it doesn't happen again! :eek:

I wonder if this is what caused all the recent fan activity on my computer too.... :eek:

mdimport seems still to be consuming a reasonable amount of system resources, too.