"mds-crash-state"

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thegreatluke, Apr 11, 2006.

1. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

This is an unknown file that kind of appeared in my Macintosh HD folder one day.

Is it safe to delete it?

The interesting thing is that, after looking at the Get Info window for the file, I don't think I was even using the MBP at that moment.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It means that the Spotlight indexer crashed. You can remove it, but you should probably verify the disk (with fsck or Disk Utility) first to see if anything seriously wrong is up that may have crashed it.

3. Zegna macrumors member

This same file recently surfaced as well on my iPod 30G folder.

If the above suggestion apply the same to the iPod, how can I run a disk check on it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

There is a built-in disk check application on the iPod, or at least there was up until 3G; there are instructions for how to activate it on a 3G at http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/fa...hard-drive-for-errors-like-running-scan-disk/, but I can't find any more recent instructions (not that I've looked very hard, do a Google search for your particular iPod model)—these require you to press both FFwd and Rew at the same time, which is obviously physically impossible with 4G and 5G iPods.

5. Zegna macrumors member

Thank you for the swift reply, Richard.

I found the following link recently, and it seems that there is a built in disk check application just like you said earlier. But I think I'm going to completely backup my iPod first before I proceed with it, since if it actually detects an error (very likely with the presence of mds-crash state), it will be proceeded with a restore attempt.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...pod-check-for-disk-errors-update-restore.html

6. Alida macrumors newbie

Alida

mds-crash-state file occured after running Monolingual

I downloaded the open source software, Monolingual, from sourceforge. It's a program to delete all languages you don't want on your computer to save space.

I checked off all the languages I don't want or use except for English, French, and Spanish and ran the software. Then on the input, I deleted all languages except Unicode since there were fewer choices and English was not an option.

After I did that, I could only type in Afgani and yet I had ceckmarked that language to delete.

Now I have the msd-crash-state file.

The only way I could start to type in English again was to run Onyx..where I repaired the file permissions, deleted the database and rebuilt it and it also reindexed my OS. Only then could I write in English again.

That open source software has huge problems.

I run Mac OXS 10.4.10

I am afraid to delete the file. I have no idea what it is doing there

Has anyony who has the mds-crash-state document downloaded any open source programs?????

The Monolingual messed up my EWS Frameworks completely.

Something strange is going on. Perhaps someone has gotten in and written some bad script.

There are many complaints about Monolingual in the past 6 months...one person completely losing all files on his laptop.

This is where my problems originated:

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

What could have happened? Any ideas?