mds (spotlight) taking up 128M of REAL memory

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mainstreetmark, Jun 6, 2005.

1. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

According to Activity Monitor, the accursed "mds" process is taking up 127.32M of Real Memory, more than kernel_task at 114MB.

I rarely use Spotlight, but it and Dashboard have managed to use up most of my remaining 1GB of RAM. Very disappointing so far.

Dashboard widgets take up an average of about 200MB of Virtual Memory, but I'm hoping those numbers are skewed due to some creative threading.

I wish you could easily turn these guys on and off.

On a related topic, my VM Size is at 9.91 GB. I should logically have at least that much free on my disk, correct?

2. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

No replies here?

I'm this close to disabling spotlight entirely. It's usefulness to me is far less than having it suck up so much resources.

It's running right now, presumably because I recently saved like 3 files.

--

Edit: It doesn't even care that I'm now on battery. I opened the lid, and it decided it needed to re-index something at 40% cpu

3. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

My mds is only using up 14.76MB of Real and 48.68MB of virtual Memory right now and that is after it just finished re-indexing my external hardrive.

Try deleting the /.Spotlight-V100 directory on each of your volumes from the Terminal and make sure you don't do anything to interrupt the re-indexing afterwards.

I think I installed a software update and rebooted in the middle of my external drive being indexed first time around and then everytime I plugged it in it would not mount for ages, so I tried deleting the Spotlight index file and having it re-indexed and now it mounts almost instantly.

4. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I just found something similar over on Macintouch, reprinted here for googleability. I'll let you know if it works.

5. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Ok, after following the above directions, things seem normal(er).

I had about 250 files from the future (pics from a digital camera), which I adjusted to "today".

I turned off spotlight, removed the database, and turned it on. It started indexing so I went to the bars and then I guess passed out or something.

But, here I am today, and CPU load is low and mds's Real Memory is hovering around 25Megs (63 Megs virtual)

What's even cooler is that it's now actually fast and, I suppose, useable! Maybe I should give it another chance. Odds are, my initial index was just messed up. I recall it taking most of the day to index the first time around, and I only got a 75G drive.

6. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Well, so much for that. Up to 131 Real already. :(

It's ridiculous.

Attached Files:

7. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

screw it. I turned off Spotlight. I have a friggin Gigabyte of memory, and Spotlight feels like it needs a full eighth of that at all times.

I'm sure in the next 20 minutes, I'll have a need for Spotlight, too. :(

8. Kermie004 macrumors newbie

Firefox memory leak

I was having this issue as well, but after watching it I noticed that it only happened on my laptop, not my desktop, and only when Firefox was running.

The mds process was running at around 250mb Real Memory and had never before shown up in the top 5 processes for the life of my laptop.

I re-downloaded and re-installed Firefox. Now the mds process runs at only around 10-12mb consistently.

9. zeeklancer macrumors regular

And what am I doing wrong?

Hmm, you guys are upset about 120+ megs, I seem to be using over 600+ megs :(

Attached Files:

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Only 1GB of RAM? ;) You should really think about upgrading your RAM at some point. 1GB isn't enough these days. I have 5GB.

11. borcanm macrumors regular

I have had that too. Try reseting your PRAM (Thats Alt+Command+P+R while booting just before the chime, and hold you hear the second boot chime).

Or do the one where you take out the power cord, the battery and hold power down for 5 seconds.

12. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

This will do absolutely nothing to Spotlight or its various components.

To the OP: Is there a reason you're obsessing over Spotlight's RAM usage? It seems to me like you're getting a little too bent out of shape over the exact numbers... You should only really worry about RAM usage if 1) you experience substantial performance degradation 2) you're doing something that requires huge amounts of non-paged memory.

Edit 2: Oh. Ahem. Four years. Wow.

13. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Strange. Mine is showing just 5MB real and bout 50MB virtual. And I have 320GB HD in this MB. I m sure there is something wrong here.

14. mikelcroft macrumors regular

15. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

:eek: Thanx a lot Kermie004 for bringing it back up from the grave.

16. macrumorino macrumors regular

Eight years later...

mds... 0.0 % cpu, and... 457 MB of RAM being hogged for a set of files that has remained almost completely stable for years.

:apple::apple::apple: mds... sloppily managing your resources since anyone can remember. :apple::apple::apple: