Me and my NES repairing adventure.

Discussion in 'Games' started by neoelectronaut, Feb 14, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, recently (okay, well, the last 7 years) my NES has been being wonky. It would lock every now and then, and the gray screen persisted when starting games. Well, I cracked it open today to see if I could clean it or something. Looking at a few repair documents on the internet said I should replace the 72-pin connector on the main board.

What my question is, is has anyone here ever done this, and has it improved things?

2. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Didn't everyone's NES always do this?

Don't you know the NES tricks?

What kind of weirdo are you, sir?

OK, I haven't done it, so I'm not much help...but I was dealing with that stuff from my NES forever, I think it just goes with the package. Gotta know the l33t NES infoz.

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    oh the memories!!! my nes died a long time ago alas i will let her rest in pieces

i hope u have better luck

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hm never done this ...never heard of the NES having technical problems either..
    i never saw a failed NES (all are PAL) here ... or is this a NTSC only problem ?

5. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I bought a new connector for my NES and worked great. ANd, it wasn't very difficult at all. ONe thing to remember, clean your games well before using your NES after changing the connector, or you are wasting your time!

6. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Awesome. I did the bend the pins trick and it didn't work much better, so I think I'm going to invest in a new connector. I'm only hoping I didn't screw up the main board connector, cause I cleaned that with some windex and q-tips also.

7. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

8. alxths macrumors 6502

The problem that 99% of NES's have results from dirt on the connectors/contacts of the games and system and the connectors on the system becomming loose... Anyone here is capable of fixing this with rubbing alcohol, sandpaper(for th game's contacts) and a nail file(for the system's connecots.

9. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, I took a toothbrush dipped it alcohol and brushed the system connectors a bit, and it seems to have helped. I was going to use a nail file or sandpaper, as you suggested, but I just did that for now.

Attached Files:

10. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Is it safe to clean my cartridges with alcohol? I'm afraid I'll ruin them over time.

11. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Wow. Now this is crazy. The games seem to run pefectly when I insert them, but don't run at all when I click the little cartridge slot down...

...it probably has something to do with the pins I bent, but hey, if it works it works.

12. alxths macrumors 6502

Actually.. I can't necessarly vouch for rubbing alcohol being ok.. the store i worked at used an alcohol based solvent =\.. but one of the other guys working there used to always recommend rubbing alcohol to customers.

I guess when you consider that i took sandpaper and scratched all of the gold off those contacts, a little rubbing alcohol can't hurt =p

13. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

I have 2 NES's because they were so flaky. Just get one on eBay...
    http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...t=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=nes+system

It's fun to tinker with stuff (I do it with arcade machines) but sometimes it's cheaper and easier to buy a new system when they are cheap.

To completely eliminate the classic NES glitches get a top loader if you can find one and if you don't mind not having RCA's.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem i had with my NES was the colors always got messed up but after a while of hitting restart it fixed itself somewhat.