Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

FridgeDay reports that the Me.com mail servers are now online. This means that you can actually send mail from your @me.com email address.

The outgoing mail server is "smtp.me.com" and the incoming server is "mail.me.com". Otherwise, you enter your usual credentials (username@me.com) and password.

Incoming me.com email addresses have been working for incoming mail since last week.

Article Link

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Great! - No real indication as to when all of mobile me is going to get turned on, but this is a step in that direction. Whether it will be on prior to July 11 remains to be seen.

MacGeek Pro

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2007
Lincoln, NE
I just made the neccessary changes, and it definitely works! Cool! Only a few more days till the official launch of the web interface!

It's good to see Apple bringing a lot of this online early. Friday is going to be a big day for them what with iPhone 2.0 firmware, iTunes 7.7, full MobileMe rollout, and a presumed patch of some sort to OS X to change all the .Mac stuff to MobileMe.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
Not all accounts are working yet.
Sending to mine never shows up, sending to my wife's shows up after about 15 minutes. I would not depend on the me.com addresses yet.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Lol - aren't Apple workers not supposed to be on such sites. Bit of a name and shame accident perhaps?

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Lol - aren't Apple workers not supposed to be on such sites. Bit of a name and shame accident perhaps?

They are not allowed to participate in any sites related to Apple for up to five years after they leave the company. He should be ok with his blog, however posting on forums such as Mac Rumours is a no no.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Seeing as it's on fridgeday.com rather than here I guess that's ok by Apple's standards?

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
ToxicBomber, I speak to Tom regularly.

He doesn't.

They are not allowed to participate in any sites related to Apple for up to five years after they leave the company. He should be ok with his blog, however posting on forums such as Mac Rumours is a no no.

He doesn't work for Apple, but he didn't post it here, regardless; I did:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/512019/

Just to clear any confusion...

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
I'm too lazy to mess around with it right now - just going to wait till mail.app gets updated.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
do you guys know if Me.com pushes emails to Blackberry devices?

It doesn't, and don't hold your breath. Apple is pitting the iPhone against the RIM devices. The last thing they would want to do is directly support them.

You will however still be able to use the BB Desktop Redirector, if you are into that sort of pain.

matthutch

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2004
Perth, Western Australia
still don't see on their site.

do you mind to show me where you saw this?
thanks

Google pointed me here

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/06/09mobileme.html

More Specifically:

Pricing & Availability
MobileMe, available on July 11, is a subscription-based service with 20GB of storage for $99 (US) per year for individuals and $149 (US) for a Family Pack, which includes one master account with 20GB of storage and four Family Member accounts with 5GB of storage each. Users can sign up for a free, 60-day MobileMe trial at http://www.apple.com/mobileme and current .Mac members will be automatically upgraded to MobileMe accounts. MobileMe subscribers can purchase an additional 20GB of storage for $49 (US) or 40GB of storage for $99 (US) annually.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Goodbye .Mac, you have been good to me, minus the crappy iDisk backups. Maybe Steve wil give you a OS 9 style send off.

Don

aviationwiz

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
do you guys know if Me.com pushes emails to Blackberry devices?

You will however still be able to use the BB Desktop Redirector, if you are into that sort of pain.

You won't have to use the BB Desktop Redirector, you can just set the account up in BIS and RIM will "push" new emails to you, however it's not true push, as BIS will only poll the .mac/.me mail server around every 15 minutes.

Gmail, Yahoo, and I think even Hotmail are true push though.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
This message is now on the .Mac homepage in the status section...

MobileMe Launch
7/9/2008, 6pm-12am PT

As part of the MobileMe launch, http://www.mac.com will be taken offline at 6pm PT on Wednesday, July 9th.

Members will be unable to access http://www.mac.com or any .Mac services during this time with the exception of .Mac Mail accessed via a desktop application, iPhone, or iPod touch.

MobileMe will be available as soon as possible during this maintenance window.

kwfl

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
It doesn't, and don't hold your breath. Apple is pitting the iPhone against the RIM devices. The last thing they would want to do is directly support them.

personally, i dont see any real cause why it shouldnt push the emails to the blackberry.
MobileMe is an exchange service and will push to any device that support exhcange.

If BlackBerry has software to support exchange, then MobileMe will push to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.