Me getting attacked by a cow

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by alienex, May 17, 2006.

1. alienex macrumors regular

I was taking one of my many trips to Puerto Rico and I decided to go up into the mountains area. I saw a cow on the side of the rode so I tried to say hello.....this is what ensued.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn9mUVey6G4

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

The hubby said that the cow looked like it just sneezed and then called you a putz. :D

4. alienex thread starter macrumors regular

Lol, tell your hubby to watch the cow more closely. Imagine being 2 feet in front of it. I thought it was going to charge me. Watch it closely again, the head moves, the legs and the body. I thought it was going to charge me.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree. It does look like that cow was thinking about charging. And cows are HUGE in person... it's easy to scoff if you have never been in that position.

I still maintain that you shouldn't have even gotten that close to it. Serves ya right for getting a shock. :p

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Eh. Visit India. Cows mean nothing to me. Not only is the cow more ambly than angry, btu it has no horns. Too close to build speed for a trampling. I guess it could have nudged you to death. :D I'm just kidding with you - it's ok to be scared.

PS - This is the "hubby" (I was too lazy to get my lappy earlier)

7. alienex thread starter macrumors regular

I wont lie. I was apprehensive going up to it as you can tell.
    I did not think it would do that. I jumped on the car for safety I wish they had got that part on video.

I thought it would knock me off my feet or and walk over me and hit me with its head. Serves me right though. Its a great memory and I have no regrets.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I sure hope you never have to disarm a bomb.

*KAPOW*

funny stuff, flinchy. :D

9. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

The thread title made me laugh more than the video to be honest. I was expecting a fully fledged cow attack. :eek:

10. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i wouldnt excatly call that being attacked, the cow flinched and you ran a mile!

try doing that with a bulll, now that would be funny :D

11. bemylover macrumors regular

yeah, me too :)

12. riciad macrumors 6502

Speaking from experience, what you don't want to do is get between an over-protective cow and her young calf. I'd take on a field of bulls before I'd do that again.

13. russed macrumors 68000

russed

now over protective geese and swans - they are deadly.

on campus at york uni there are loads of them, normally they are pretty tame, but at this time of the year when they have their young they just go psycho! quite amusing to watch people being chased by a swan!

14. iGav macrumors G3

15. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Potential Puerto Rico News Headline

Bovine Bully Beaten Badly!

Seriously though, approaching the animal w/ your arms out wide and above the level of it's head was a terrible idea. A general rule for approaching animals is keep your arms at your sides and don't make fists. The way you would w/ a dog. It works better. And oh yeah...Two for flinching!

16. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Why on earth would you approach an animal that could easily kill you? :eek: Why on earth were you trying to pet it? :eek: They aren't like cats, for goodness sake! You could have gotten seriously hurt. I'm glad you didn't, but please don't approach such large animals and try to pet them. I don't know of too many wild animals who are always up for a cuddle-session.:p

17. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Nope, that is not being attacked by a cow.

You didn't have any physical contact with the cow. Trust me, if you had, you would realize that there is a big difference.

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Attacked?:confused: ...that cow barely moved and you hauled arse...LOL

Note: what the hell you was thinking going next to it? trying to lead her out of the road?

Bless

20. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

to answer the question in your sig.

never, your always alone. no one can completely understand you and even when you reach moments of understanding there is no way to tell. you cant completely view the perspective of someone else.

21. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I agree with "wuss."

I grew up in the countryside, and I know not to approach large (except that was a pretty small and skinny looking cow) animals without carrying a large stick. A sharp whack on the nose will send just about any large beast running.

But if you're charged (and unless it's a bull, that's usually that's just curiosity, not aggression) and you don't have a stick, standing your ground and delivering a kick on the nose is almost as good (but more likely to go wrong). Running is a bad idea and will just make it more excited - again, unless it's a bull, when the idea is to get out its way as quickly as possible.

22. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

As a frequent visitor to Yellowstone, I am still amazed at the number of people I see trying to approach bison.

Talk about stoopid...

23. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Thanks mom :)