Me vs an idiot

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Blackadder, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, perhaps it wasnt the nicest thing to do, but I got my point across...Maybye nobody else will think it was funny but I cracked me up.

A minute ago I was sitting here repeatedly hitting the resfresh button my browser to make that damn "server busy" message on MR go away, when a coworker came over to the desk next to mine. He's the official lab jerk, and he loves to indulge in what Churchil termed "gratuitous arguing", i.e. pushing peoples' buttons for private amusement. Whenever I'm around he loves to make stupid-*ss comments about Macs or any of the other stuff I'm interested in. Today he came over and started using the Dell Xeon workstation next to me to check his email. I'll paraphrase his speech because I never really listen closely and he says the same stuff all the time anyway:

"Wow, we need a new computer, this is SO much better than that crappy Mac we have in OUR lab <giggle>". To which I respond by reminding him that his lab uses a Powermac 6100 that is 12 years old and anyway it can check email just as fast as any computer in the lab. "Yeah, but it's stupid because I can't eject floppies 'cause their's no button, I have to like use menus and stuff. It's stupid" etc. He begins copying a bunch of spreadsheet files on to a floppy as he says this. I get up from my computer (still getting that "server busy" message anyway), walk over, reach past him and eject the floppy while it's still copying. "what the hell was that?" he says. "Well, THAT woundn't have happened if you were using the crappy computer in YOUR lab, now would it?". The best part was that my boss laughed, since he doesn't like people coming over and clogging up our machines anyway.

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

3. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, I'm sure it was fun, but you saved him from the 13 viruses that would have made it to the floppy otherwise.... ;)

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

That's pretty funny. But I do have a question. Why can't Apple put its eject button next to the CD drive? It could have the same functionality as F12, but why not put it where users might actually be LOOKING for it?

I'm not suggesting we all buy PCs, but wouldn't that make more sense?

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Aesthetics.

As for you, Lord Blackadder, I commend you on a job well done. That was classic.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think they should borrow a page from B&O and put a sensor there that opens the tray (or ejects the disk from a slot drive) after you hold your hand there for a second. :)

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Your desk must be much less cluttered than mine. I'd be ejecting the tray all the time because I set my water bottle/remote/headset/phone/whatever down in front of the sensor.

9. iGav macrumors G3

that's what I think as well... ;)

although remember the Cube G4 and it's power switch... :eek: :p

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yeah, that was fabulous: turn off your computer whenever you plug in a firewire device!

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The sensor's IR-based, tuned to body heat range (at least on a friends B&O). So, regular items wouldn't do it, coffee wouldn't do it. A scampering ferret, well, that might cause problems... but, then scampering ferrets often do.

12. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

In that case, bring it on. I can always cage the ferrets.

14. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Thanks guys, just doing my job. :D

Taking a page from B&O is never a bad thing, unless it has to do with pricing. :eek:

Of course, the sensor-eject feature could have involved taking a page from an auto-flush urinal....hey, maybe that's where B&O got the idea! :p

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

awesome job, and im sure effective too, rather than wasting your time argueing with the brute

16. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

That "owned" picture animation cracks me up! :p

Ok ok, so let me see if I got this straight. This PeeCee user was putting down Macs because they don't have an eject button on the case and PCs do. So as he was copying files to a floopy, you pushed the eject button and ejected the floopy while it still has files being copied to it?

Smooth ;) Another reason why Macs are more secure than PCs.

Would that cause any harm to the computer/floopy?

17. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Does it matter?

18. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Well I'm not really regarding it to that PC user, but just as a general thing for all computers :)

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

20. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Nah, it just sits there for a while and then comes up with a dialog box that says something like "Oh no, I can't see the disk any more. Hey, did YOU pull it out while I was writing to it? PUT IT BACK!"

The idiot was copying the file from a network drive anyway, so its not like he needed to be using one of our computers to do it. :mad:

I think he just comes over to our lab because we have a couple of cute lab techs. :D

Xtremehkr, that animation kicks a**!

21. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

It would be better, especially when you really need to open the CD tray and the Apple software is broken. My Mac is doing some weird thing now - pressing the eject button on the keyboard opens the tray, but then it closes again within two seconds. :mad:

22. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Shut down the computer
    Turn it on. Once you hear the startup noise, hold down the mouse button, until the drive opens.

23. thecow macrumors 6502

While we are on the subject of PC n00bs

My mom helps with the chess club at my little brother's school. She is coordinating the custom t-shirts that the kids wear at the tournaments. She ordered 30 shirts from some place that calls themselves a graphic design business. Mom ordered the shirts about two weeks before the first tournament. All of the pictures and text were in MS word files and Power Point files. She emailed the files to the people at the design place so all that they would have to do is transfer the pictures onto the shirts. They emailed back and said that they couldn't open the files. I emailed back and told them to open the files with word and power point. I thought that this would be pretty obvious from the .doc and .ppt extensions on the file names. She called a few days later and said that she still couldn't open the files. She said that she couldn't open them because I emailed them from a Mac, and Mac files aren't compatible with PCs. She is lucky that you can't do bodily harm to people through the phone. Both me and my mom had had enough with this person. I told her open word and open the file from file>open. She said "I have a new computer and I don't know where everything is. Umm. Will Word Perfect work?" I said that no, it wouldn't. I had to convert the files to pdfs. What kind of a graphic design business doesn't have word and thinks that Mac files aren't compatible with PCs. After she got the files, she tried to tell mom that she could only order a minimum of 36 shirts at $11 each. My mom had previously agreed to get 30 shirts at $10 each. Today was the day that we needed the shirts and she called our home phone (mom told her to call at work) and said that they would be late. We are never using these people again.

Good job with the floppy thing. I think that it's funny that he things he's so cool with his PCs and he's using floppies. Dude get a pen drive. Floppies died a long time ago.