Means to an end

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pseudobrit, Feb 3, 2006.

1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

link
    This is where the anti-gay rhetoric takes us.

I have no doubt that crusaders like iGary's Mr. Dwyer are simply one shot of courage away from rampaging murderously through the homosexual population. They're ****ing nuts, folks.

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Saddening news.

I am not so sure I agree with your comments PB, however.

This kid had his own particular axe to grind.

Politicians like Mr. Dwyer, choose a more insidious method of assasination...

I understand your general point, PB, and I agree - but a little heavy-handed in delivery imo...

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

As long as there are Mr. Dwyers, Fred Phelps and Pat Robertsons, there will always be guys like this whacko who find inspiration in what they say. His neo Nazi tendencies could only have been fed by the extremists on the right who are allowed to get away with their hate speech when it is cloaked in christianity.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Smells like terrorism to me... I mean we can use that on anything these days, right?

5. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

People like Dwyer and Robertson, Falwell, Dobson (and 75% of the population of Colorado Springs) give mainstream legitimacy to what should be a fringe element of society. People need to know that this class of hatred, condemnation and oppression is completely outside the realm of what is acceptable in civilised society.

Awesome pun, but I question your tact.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

yeah, sorry about that pun - I couldn't resist - can we just bury the hatchet?

ah...sh**.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Nah, that only works with brown people. ;)

Although I agree that people like Mr. Dwyer have the right to spew hatred, they should realize they have a responsibility to watch who they are egging on. I doubt people like him and Robertson and the rest were directly responsible, but they do legitimize the fringe lunacy. Ironic, since these are usually the type of people who decry stuff on TV and video games that encourage kids to be violent and have sex. :rolleyes:

8. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

That story is dreadful, Is there a massive hatred in the USA for homosexual males? (i'm guessing its males?)

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

For New Bedford that kind of hatred definitely isn't normal. The city has more than its share of violence and petty crime since it's kind of an economically depressed area with some drug problems. It's definitely not the kind of area where you'd normally worry about wandering into a place like Puzzles, people simply don't care.

From what I can gather from the local papers and this kid's myspace page, his friends are flabbergasted. Apparently they figured that his swastika tattoo and all were for show or shock value. It's really looking like there was something a lot more deeply wrong with this kid than "rhetoric", given that he killed a girlfriend riding with him and a cop before being caught.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh no, it works just fine on white people -- their ideology just has to come from the left. Like 'eco-terrorists' for example.

But homo-terrorists and Christian-terrorists aren't called that.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You know, I knew it was bad, but I never realized just how bad. Finding/looting all over again. Was Tim McVeigh ever called a terrorist, because I don't think he was.

But you notice that those fighting us in Iraq are terrorist. Even though they have nothing to do with 9/11, it's an easy link to those who were. Terrorist. Beginning to lose it's meaning.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh McVeigh was called a terrorist all right -- but not a Christian terrorist despite his links to White Supremacy groups who use Christianity as a justification for their hate. Paul Hill was never called a Christian terrorist either. It's probably because Christians are soooo persecuted in our society..

Compare that to our obsession with labeling eco-terrorists, Islamic terrorists, or narco-terrorists as such.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Are you sure? Because as I seem to recall, it was called an act of terrorism until he was caught. I never really heard him being called a terrorist, not anywhere I saw. Maybe some did, and I just didn't see it or notice. They didn't all run it into the ground like Bush has.

And pardon my ignorance, but narco-terrorist? That's a new one on me. Had to look it up, but I guess it makes sense.