Meat Eating Frenzy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACDRIVE, Mar 22, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I need some pointers on how to chose a good steak. What are the differences between the different cuts? Why will steak (A) cost 5 times the money as steak (B)?

I'm looking for boneless steaks the are lean with just the right texture that makes them easy to eat.

I've picked out some excellent steaks, but just by chance though; as I really don't know what I'm doing. :confused:

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i reckon go to a really good butchers and get a cut from there. They usually cost a bit more, but they taste so much better, and have much less fat on them.

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Most people find a cut they prefer. Sirloin, Filet, Strip, Ribeye...is there something that you have been choosing lately? Some do have a 'little' more visible fat than others, but a good butcher will trim any steak properly.

Filet, when cooked right, is probably the most tender steak.

4. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

The thing about fat is that it keeps the meat from drying out when you cook it, and really helps the flavour. A nice 'marbled' cut is great for flavour.

Google* 'cuts of steak' and you will find some really helpful sites.

*Other search engines are available

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No help here. I just wanted to say that I love your threads! :D

6. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

LOL!!! [​IMG] . . . Thank You MJ :)

7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    What you want to look for is fat that is marbled into the meat. Tiny specs of fat in the steak. You won't want big clumps of fat around the outside. For steak purposes stay away from things labeled "roast" because those are well roasts. Flank steak isn't quite a steak either. Its tougher unless you cook it right.

The trick is to figure out what you like. There are differences in flavor and texture in the different pieces.

As for prices varying for what looks like the same piece of cow there different grades. See http://www.ams.usda.gov/kidsweb/beefgrades.htm . Select is what you will want to look for. Prime is great piece of meat but the cost of the upgrade isn't usually worth the small upgrade in quality

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

9. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Mmmm steak!

I would say Filet Mignon or NY Strip (can get these boneless), but they are the more expensive of the steak family.

Also take a look at Omaha steaks. Good quality for a decent price. They have nice little packages they put together and offer like 50% off coupons in your mail every once in a while. Comes delivered in a Cooler!

10. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

If you have a Discover card, you can get even more bang for your buck through their rewards program. Wife's dad just got $60 worth of steaks for $20.

Me, perrsonally... I like filets and strip steaks. Filets are the most tender cut of beef... strip steaks tend to have the best combination of fat and "meatiness". :) Prime rib roast is also a favorite.

11. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

omg don't look at Omaha steaks you will go broke. :eek: :D oh so good. :D actually they aren't that badly priced but still pricier then what you get in the local store imo. personally i like their Filet Mignon.

12. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

look for thickness, little fat.....that's what I go by. Thicker the better, but thicker also means you will be cooking longer. Lower temps, make sure those coals are very white! (only way to cook a good steak =p Flames? bleh)

Now I think I'll go pick me up a few steaks from the local Walmart for tonight and some Zesty Italian :D

1 steak + Kraft Zesty Italian/1hour on each side = damn good ;)

13. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Just don't underdo it! The steak must be dead and as in dead I mean it must not be CHEWY as you are eating steak, not gum. Oh and prepare it on a braai (American barbeque), basically a fire in a concealed thingy with a grill on it. Just don't use petrol (American gas) to start it use bits of burning newspaper instead. And charcoal to keep it going -try wood if you can't acquire charcoal.

Thats just my opinion though.

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah, an Omaha outlet opened up literally across the street from where I work.

That can't be good.

*** stocks up on propane for the grill ***

*** buys portable defibrillator ***

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am a fan of the Ribeye an T-bone. The Ribeye normally comes with out a bone and is very very good.

16. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Can I get a job at your place?

They'll need to pay me alot 'cuz all the money I'd blow.

17. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

CLEAR!

Would you like another Rib-Eye (The 86'er) ? :D

We had one of those Omaha stores by me, I wonder if its still there?

The e-mail deals are pretty good...

I'm surprised we haven't been overwhelmed by Vegans!

18. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

Perfect!!!

Nice post my friend :)

19. furious macrumors 65816

furious

When you buy a steak from the butcher the colour of the steak is important. Surprised know-one has said this. You do not want to buy a grey steak or one with patches of grey. A red to maroon colour is good to pink can be bad. Just make sure the meat looks fresh. If it has been aged maroon to purple is best.

20. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I was told, maybe saw it on Good Eats? not sure.. that most of the bright red coloring you see in meat is actually from red dye. Markets often inject their cuts to make the meat look "fresher".. could be wrong though, but wouldn't be too surprised either. :eek:

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Already some great advice on this thread. Now I'm hungry for steak! :)

Just like to add, the best way to great meat is raise it yourself. Start out with a good breed of beef cattle. Angus and Murray Grey come to mind. Also, well fed buffalo are excellent as well.

Nothing like feeding good wholesome grains and grass with no steroids/fast gainers. Then after you butcher, aging the beef (or buffalo, or deer, or...) just right. Of course getting a good butcher to cut up your quarters or halves just the way you like.

The sign of a great well grown and prepared steak is that you can cut it with a fork. No knife is needed. A big juicy thick rare to medium rare steak.

Yum! :D :D :D

I really miss home at times like this! :(

22. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

While good and true advice, a bit impractical for most folks. :p :D :)

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

True! :p

Just thinking about being back on the farm. Sometimes I miss those days. :)

24. jdechko macrumors 68040

Curses!

I haven't had lunch yet as I'm taking much of the afternoon off. Now I'm hungry for some nice, juicy steak. :(

Medium Rare Filet for me, please.

25. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

My girlfriend's father lives in New Mexico. He has buffalo (or is it bison?) wandering around in what constitutes his backyard. So if you will cook 'em, I'll catch 'em! :)

On a more general note, does anyone have tips/ideas on how long it's okay to keep meat frozen for? I was clearing out my freezer last name and saw some items that were months old and tossed 'em - but now I'm wondering if that was necessary or not...