Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
On a more general note, does anyone have tips/ideas on how long it's okay to keep meat frozen for? I was clearing out my freezer last name and saw some items that were months old and tossed 'em - but now I'm wondering if that was necessary or not...

Sealed and frozen its still "Good" for 6-12 months depending on how well its sealed how consistently its frozen. After that it won't kill you but the quality degrades significantly.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Go visit a churrascaria and taste a multitude of various cuts of meat in one sitting. This might give you an idea of what types of meat you enjoy the most.

Of course, these places generally aren't inexpensive...

Poseidon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2007
Coralville, IA
Go visit a churrascaria and taste a multitude of various cuts of meat in one sitting. This might give you an idea of what types of meat you enjoy the most.

Of course, these places generally aren't inexpensive...

I've been to a couple of those and you're right on both counts: tasty and pricey. Best to bring an appetite too!

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
OK, here's the scoop on steaks! First, go find Alton Browns episode on steak (I think it was actually the first episode of Good Eats). Watch it four or five times.

Here's my advice, though. First, I like top sirloin. Good texture, usually good marbling without being to fatty, and not too expensive. I recommend getting cuts that are 3/4 of an inch thick. Once you buy them, wrap them up very tight in butcher paper, if you didn't get them that way from the store, and let them sit in the fridge for 2 days. This lets them dry a little which enhances the flavor.

Ok, now go get a cheap cast iron skillet. Should run you about $15-20 most anywhere. If it's not pre-seasoned, season according to the directions. If possible, get your grandma's old skillet.

Turn your oven onto about 450degrees, and throw the skillet in while you prep the meat. Take a teaspoon of PEANUT OIL (ONLY PEANUT, nothing else has a high enough smoke point!) and rub it over the meat on both sides; this fill sin all the 'gaps' in the meat and helps it cook evenly. Now, sprinkle both sides with coarse kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.

Once you've done that you oven should be preheated, and you can let the meat sit for a couple minutes while you (carefully) take the skillet out and put it onto a burner set for medium-high. Wait a couple minutes while the meat rests and the pan and burner even out in temperature.

When ready, throw the meat on to the skillet and wait 1 minute exactly. Flip the meat over and wait another minute. After that minute, turn off the burner and put the skillet back in the oven for one more minute.

Flip the meat over again, and put back in the oven for 2 minutes. At this point you should have medium done steak (depending on the thickness of your cuts, you may need to adjust the timing). While I prefer and recommend that you eat steak medium-rare, I cook it to medium at home to be on the safe side. If you want medium-well, flip the meat one last time and cook for 1 minute. If you want well done, have a hamburger.

Ok, you're meats cooked! Don't eat it yet! Take your plate and put a small pile of French's Fried Onion on it. Drop the steak right on those. Cover in aluminum foil and wait 2 minutes for the meat to rest. This whole step is important. The meat needs to rest or it will just dump all it's moisture out when you cut it. But, it needs to rest in a way that it's not sitting in a puddle of fluid, which is where the onions come in. They also taste great covered in steak drippings.

I recommend that you sautee some onions and mushrooms while you are waiting. Throw them in the skillet with a little garlic and a splash of white wine, being sure you scrape up all the steak bits left on the pan. I also recommend Texas Roadhouse Steaksauce. Puts A1 to shame.

So there you have the best steak recipe in the world. Try it, I swear it's the best.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I'm surprised we haven't been overwhelmed by Vegans!

Vegan for 7 years here :) but hey talk about what you want, it doesn't bother me. I gave up being a vegan nazi ages ago.

Got one question for you lot tho:

It's nice to see you talking about and recommending high quality meat instead of the usual mass-produced dreck - any reason why you aren't including organic meat in your discussion?

Sticking to the topic of your thread, many of my meat-eating mates say it tastes better, and you feel better after eating it. (and it addresses many of my objections to meat farming, but let's not get into a vegan flamefest.)

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
the quality of the animal counts alot for the flavor and texture of the steaks.

I am a huge fan of steaks, only have them a couple of times a year though.

I go with the local farm raised organic cruelty free SPCA approved cattle that are aged min 21 days, best meat ever.

When I used to live at my old place I would buy a quarter of cow for $250 all cut up to my fave cuts and ground beef and stew meat. yum. Now I dont have the space for a deep freezer and buy them as I need.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Sealed and frozen its still "Good" for 6-12 months depending on how well its sealed how consistently its frozen. After that it won't kill you but the quality degrades significantly.
Yes, how the meat is initially frozen and then kept makes a huge difference in the freshness and taste.

Unfortunately, store bought beef can loose a lot of it's freshness due to the process on how it gets to your kitchen.

We used to have our beef frozen for years. Taste was still very good. You have to freeze it right, in a timely manner after aging, and continuously throughout the storage process. If it is allow to warm up (even slightly) and then back to the regular freezing temperature, the meat will loose a lot of it's taste and freshness. It gets what we called freezer burn.

A good indicator of how good the meat is when taking it out of the freezer, is the consistency of the coloration. Of course it needs to be reddish in color and not grey, brown or black. But if the reddish color is not consistent across the piece of meat then it will not be fresh. The coloration should be very uniform if the preparation and freezing was done well. The reddish coloring will turn darker but it will still have a good reddish hue to it. It is hard to explain, but easy to see when you know what you are looking at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.