Mechanical test for Graphic Job?!??!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xli_ne, Jul 7, 2006.

1. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

I have an interview early next week for a graphics job on a local printing company. The job description states things like customer service, setting up print jobs and photo correction.

They say I have to take a ruler test and a mechanical test as well. The ruler test I can understand, but a mechanical test? I have no idea what would be on that for a job that I am applying for.

anyone have any ideas?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Could that have something to do with working with diagrams, technical drawings, etc.? Or maybe working with camera-ready artwork? The term isn't widely used in the UK in the design industry as far as I know.

3. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Here in the US, it refers to camera ready artwork given to a printer, with separations on acetate as necessary. And rubyliths! Very old school, but maybe this printer is old school. Or maybe they're a silk screen operation. Or maybe its just referring to the CMYK films.

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Probably because it's a Printing Company, an Industry, and they want to make sure you're not some artsy-fartsy wiener.

5. xli_ne thread starter macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

crap

6. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Don't make up your mind yet...it could be very valuable work experience. A chance to see how the designs come from clients and get transformed to printed pieces. Not only that, but it will allow you to learn what rules can be bent, and how to get the best printed job on a limited budget. Not to mention, prepress knowledge which most designers should know...and don't!

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'd guess they just want you to have at least some mechanical skill to be able to work the machinery...rest assured though that if you have a great interview and present yourself well, and if they like you, they'll train you on simple things.

8. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Perhaps you should read the job description again.

9. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

LOL!

(You were joking, right?)

Yeah, if one is applying for a graphics job at a printing company, I would definitely hope the applicant knows what a "mechanical" is. Yes, they are probably testing your ability to prepare a file/layout appropriately for output to an imagesetter or direct to plate system or whatever they have.