MechE's of MR

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Studawg7, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Studawg7 macrumors regular

I have seen a number of posts recently with different people saying that they were mechanical engineers (students or those working). So I wanted to start a new thread to see how many meche's there are here at MR. Also, I am curious to what you do and why you love apple products.

So I'll start it off!

Currently, I am a graduate student in mechanical and aerospace engineering at UVA. I am writing my thesis right now and will be done in November. My research is on morphing structures, epecially for AUVs (autonomous underwater vehicles). I am currently looking for a job when I graduate, hopefully doing similar work in aerospace or automotive industry. I love my ibook and ipod photo. I enjoy using my ibook for presentations and word documents (especially my huge thesis). I even run some matlab code from time to time at home when I dont feel like going to the lab! I have drooled over apple products since i was in college (started in '99). Currently, Im drooling over a new iMac lol.

I look forward to other posts!

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

MechE, working for the Navy. Soon to be at the Patent Office. Plan to study Patent Law.

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I'm a Mech E working as a computer programmer. I got the job because I do Applescript. I took the because I thought I would be doing CFD.

4. efoto macrumors 68030

ME studying Bioengineering with a year left. Currently doing research for my thesis (uni requires undergrad thesis) at my company. Project is closed so I can't really share to much, but it should prove pretty cool.

I have always thought Macs had better styling, and finally just bit the bullet and switched a while back and have never been happier. I have since convinced 3 people to switch simply because they know how much of a computer dork I was on a pc, and they see how much happier I am using this. I hardly have to speak, my lack of anger makes them switch :)

5. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

2nd year ME student here. Cant wait to be done and get a job.

6. Studawg7 thread starter macrumors regular

a bunch of my friends do cfd. that is some incredible stuff and one day it would be nice to implement it in the work i have been doing. there is a big cfd company in charlottesville, va called blue ridge numerics, they make cfdesign. They are really starting to grow.

7. Studawg7 thread starter macrumors regular

what school do you go to?

8. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I am a Sophomore in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Illinois. The only thing I am doing other than taking standard classes and having fun is taking flying lessons. Oh, and I work for the universities computer help desk. The UofI is a very Mac friendly place, it almost seems like half the tech staff are Mac users.

I started on Mac because my mom is in education, and at least around here, that means you use Mac, and my dad works for the university so has a Mac in his office as well.

9. Studawg7 thread starter macrumors regular

Great! good luck at the UofI. that is a great school and i looked at going there for my undergrad work. I have an uncle that went there and received his degree in civil.