Media 100 dumps Apple

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 748s, Feb 26, 2002.

1. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

The new Media 100 system, 844/x is a windows only system. They went with windows because when they started to develop it, "macs didn't have enough PCI slots and the PCI bus speed is well behind that of the Compaq workstation chosen for the host". 844/x has 3 PCI cards. They will continue with the Apple and windows versions of the NLE. Though it could be a timely move for Media 100 as FCP is taking chunks out of their existing market. It is a worrying sign though, as another company drifts off to windows.

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

"macs didn't have enough PCI slots and the PCI bus speed is well behind that of the Compaq workstation"

WTF!?! 4 PCI slots running at 33mhz...what Compaq has a PCI bus faster than 33mhz?!? It's a standard!!!

PS. Someone please tell me how to get the quote feature to work :confused:

3. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

exactly rower_cpu. i cant understand some people.

4. 748s thread starter macrumors 6502a

748s

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Makes no damn sense...
    Oh well. Media 100 is dead in the water. More people use Avid systems, or FCP. And especially now with FCP 3's software rendering abilities...who needs 3 huge PCI cards clogging up their case.
    Professionals are turning to FCP 3 for a reason...

6. 748s thread starter macrumors 6502a

748s

another review at
    http://ads.digitalmedianet.com/cgi-bin/advertpro/banners.fpl?region=298&bust=53713&keyword=NULL

he is part of the review.....
    But the drawbacks of this nascent system were also hanging out there for all to see as well. There are no 3D effects capabilities in 844/X yet. Even if you don't want to flip and twirl boxes around, this could be a serious drawback if you're looking to zoom past a boom microphone shadow or level out a skewed horizon. There are not even any wipes included; instead, there's the old Media 100 workaround from days gone by where you use a gradated graphic as an Alpha and move it with the DVE. There's no way to stabilize an image, a feature that's available on software like Adobe After Effects........

that sounds slightly dangerous for longevity.

7. Jookbox macrumors 6502

lol obviously you don't know pc's. the pci bus runs at 66mhz now, and pretty much any new pc motherboard will have at least 5, sometimes 6 pci slots, with ZERO isa slots.

being ignorant of pc technology definitely won't help your cause.. whatever it is.

8. Tommy! macrumors regular

ummm well i think apple dumped media 100 so there.

9. gbojim macrumors 6502

The reason Media 100 is going PC only is that FCP basically killed their sales. The only thing they really had going for them over FCP was real time rendering which is an advantage they no longer have.

I have 4 customers that are video production shops. They all started out on Media 100 because they were pretty good technically and nowhere near the cost of Avid. Every one of them is now completely FCP. From what I have been told, that is quite common.

I was told by a Media 100 distributor that they figure they are safe in the Wintel world for a while because there is no good software only based system available on that platform. I don't know much about Wintel based video editing so I don't know if that is really true.

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Not really... So far I have not found ANY motherboards that have a 66MHz PCI bus speed... Granted, I don't even look at ones for intel, but still.... The way you make it sound, any current mobo's would have the 66MHz. Before you start trying to shoot holes, check out this one... http://www.giga-byte.com/products/7vtxh+.htm. It was actually releaced very recently, has ZERO isa slots. Here is yet another one, that was released VERY recently, http://www.giga-byte.com/products/7dxr+.htm.

I love shooting down incorrect information...

11. 748s thread starter macrumors 6502a

748s

ok, ok, jookbox, you got me....."the cause", i admit i am running a hidden agenda here. i made a bet last year, $100 that media 100 would be gone by 1/1/05. damm. they are trying to hang on, and lose me $100, by grabbing onto the wintel world. damm.
    and alphatech, can you get rid of that pic of the that damm bike.
    makes me want to go buy a road king and spend 3 months out in the australian desert just cruising. i can't afford it! double damm!

12. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i dont see your point. he gets to keep the bike pic.

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

748s,

WHEN you get to the point where you have earned an avatar, you can put whatever you want up. That is the bike I am getting in just over 3 weeks. :p

14. lewdvig macrumors 65816

m100 gone soon, real soon

Family is broke.
    Money dried up.

Needed to sell Cleaner to Discreet just to pay bills.

Apple is really getting their **** together in software. They will be the MS of creative applications soon.

When I use Windows Moviemaker, it makes me want to punch Bill in the face. So I bought an iMac.

15. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

16. Jookbox macrumors 6502

i think you misinterpreted my hasty answer. since this is a forum filled with psycho mac worshippers, i'll let it slide. however, i wasn't incorrect. my point was the fact that a 66mhz bus is common nowadays on a workhorse computer, but not necessairly on the one your grandma is checking her email on.

now here's a link to a REAL motherboard, one suitable for a workstation running media 100 software:

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7m266-d/overview.htm

notice the 5 pci slots (3 at 33 with 2 at 66)

i'm not sure why you posted those links of the gigabyte boards with the zero isa slots, you're basically just visually repeating what i said earlier, that the current pc spec eliminated the isa bus.

i love shooting down people who think they are shooting down my incorrect information, even though it's correct.

(edited for grammar)

17. 748s thread starter macrumors 6502a

748s

alphatech, that pic is distracting me. i should be focused on work.
    i see that pic and my mind wanders to blasting down a highway in 40c/100f heat. it must be tough having to wait 3 weeks. good luck to ya. i was being flippant about my position and don't expect you to remove the pic. damm........some harley riding friends are riding sydney-perth, approx 4000km [3000 miles?] each way, in a couple of weeks.
    done it before, this time i gotta stay put and pay my bills......grrrrrrrr........

18. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Media 100 maybe dead soon, but they haven't given up the Mac. Media 100 i v 8 for OS X has come out...

19. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Jookbox,

One last item before I leave this non-thread related item... asus boards BLOW!!!! I tried one, actually two because the first one was defective. Actually, they just were NOT compatible with the 1.4GHz thunderbird I was putting in the system at the time (XP chips were not yet out).

I don't use the peecee for email, but rather 100% for GAMES and it does that quite well. NO hardware combatitility issues, unlike the asus crap. I have use giga-byte boards in all the systems that I have built and have had excellent results. One of them is still running after almost 2 years of being up 24/7 (it is a server). Think what you want, but I will NEVER get any asus products.

IF the 66MHz bus was sooooo figgin common, then everyone would know it, and advertise it. When was the last time you heard about it in an ad???? The ONLY item that I have seen listing the faster PCI bus speed was a couple of ATA RAID cards, but they also listed for the 33MHz bus.

Now, no more peecee items in here, it is supposed to be a MAC forum, NOT peecee.

20. Media100CustAdv macrumors newbie

Media 100 dumps Apple - NOT!!!

While it is true that there are no current plans to develop 844/X for the Macintosh, this does NOT indicate any lack of support for the Apple platform.

Media 100 is very excited about the upcoming release of Version 8 for Media 100 i which will run on Mac OS X in the early summer. We rewrote driver, middleware, and application code from square one to benefit from OS X dynamic operating system and the dazzling new Aqua interface.

There has been a considerable amount of time and resources put into Version 8. We have been received a lot of strong feedback from the Media 100 community at Macworld in San Francisco and at Video Forum in London, not to mention some private demos to existing users.

Mac OS X has given us some new opportunities that we are able to take advantage of – like Aqua and additional audio tracks which can handle extra real-time Audio FX like Reverb and Dynamics. With that in mind, any idea of giving up on developing the Apple hardware further on an existing popular product would be pre-mature.

You can find additional information on Version 8 of Media 100 i which will run in Mac OS X at …

http://www.media100.com/Media100i.asp

Best Regards.

-- Scott Donahue
    Media 100 Customer Advocate
    http://www.media100.com/customer/advocate/advocate.html

21. Jookbox macrumors 6502

what the hell are you talking about? when did i say the 66mhz bus was common? you're totally putting words in my mouth instead of eating yours. you have no shame at all. anyway, it wasn't until you said asus boards suck, that i realized i'm talking to an ignorant high-schooler. thanks for wasting my time.

have a nice snobby life. this conversation is over.

22. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

ahhahaahahahahah

BTW most high end PC mobos have 2 or 3 64bit 66mhz PCI slots, and maybe one ISA/PCI slot. But the New AMD Hammers have 133mhz PCI slots so there u go. btw go to anandtech and tomshardware and check out the Hammers, looks like a G5 but the x86 kind from AMD, hopefully the G5 will come out when the hammers do... sigh....

23. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I got it from this post of YOURS. You also made pretty much the same statement in another post of yours...

the pci bus runs at 66mhz now

As for ISA slots (i.e. useless pieces of cr@p), it has taken the peecee world until last year to FINALLY do away with them (for the most part). Apple eliminated the NuBus slot (their version of ISA) between 6 and 7 years ago. Another example of Apple making innovations, where the peecee world follows.

hey jadam... what are you smoking and where can I get some???

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Enough already.... we are supposed to comment about MAC's here... NOT make claims about peecee junk....

25. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Don't be such an Asus hole!

Take my Asus please!

Actually, I have a KT133 Asus board that came with the KT133a N.Bridge. It also came with a Promise RAID controller chip that was stripped by Asus to be a ATA100 controller. A bit of solder and a custom hacked bios and I had RAID!

It was fun. But it blows for video - the little iMac I bought my 3 year old does a better job for the stuff I do (little encoding).

It even runs MAME .58 better!

What was this thread about?