Media adapter for GBA

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just bought a GB Micro off eBay, and I'm thinking about getting one of those fancy media adapters for it.

Ideally I'm after something to play the roms I had ripped from carts a while back for my PSP. Even if its just NES I'll be happy. though I would like something to play GB/GBC roms too, give the Micro that missed out functionality.

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

[​IMG]

The M3 Slim, uses SD cards (which will also be your Wii memory cards) and doesn't stick out of the regular DS and all GBAs.

I'm rather distraught at the moment, because I can't find my M3 CF anywhere :(

It plays GBA roms directly, and there are emulators available for GB, GBC, and NES that work perfectly and even a SNES emulator with limited compatability. A $10 Flash2Advance cable should let you rip GBA games using your GB, or a $20 Flash2Advance cartridge reader should let you rip GB/GBC/GBA games independent of a system.

3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

ah no need to rip the Roms, an old tech friend ripped mine before I got my PSP. sure I only have about 10 in total but Mario Bros 3 is in there :)

Having troubles finding an M3 adapter in the UK. Any US import sites I could go to? nothing on Lik-Sang and Froogle :(

EDIT: nevermind. found some canadian site selling it. $99 along with a PassCard3 (or something). is that needed for homebrew DS games, just I'm very interested in that Doom DS game :eek: but I don't know what I need here!

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The PassKey/PassCard 3 is required to trick the DS into booting in DS mode. Without it, you can use the M3 in GBA mode, but if you put the PassKey in the top slot and the M3 in the bottom slot on the DS then you can run DS homebrew too.

With me, I used a PassKey 2 and M3 to boot in DS mode, then I installed a firmware hack so I don't need the PassKey anymore for the DS (and, as a bonus, removing the health and safety warning screen as well). Now the PassKey sits in the closet, but I still have it if I ever want to use the M3 with someone else's DS, or if I get a new one.

I'd recommend divineo.com. Expensive shipping prices (downright outrageous) but they ship *everywhere*.

So to run anything that uses the DS's ARM9 processor, WiFi, second screen, full resolution, and touch sensors, you need the PassKey. PassKey/M3 combo for DS homebrew, and M3 standalone for GBA homebrew.

EDIT: For roms, is it just NES roms? Because I found the Flash2Advance EXTREMELY useful- it can rip GBA roms AND GBA savegames, and it can transfer your M3 savegames back onto the GBA cartridges. It's also nice for recording videos since you can rip your GBA rom and savegame and run them in an emulator and record it. And it's all legal backup.

The GBA NES emulator works great- even has savestate support, so you can save in old games. The NDS NES emulator also works good, but last time I saw it they hadn't added save support yet. BUT- the L button would rewind time, and R would fast forward, so if you die, you can rewind and not die :)

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Another solution that I like (and use) is the Supercard (supercard.cn) set.

And you'll want to decide between SD and CF. CF will stick out of the bottom, but not everything DS-homebrew-wise can read/write the SD

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Supercard and M3 are almost the same, but M3 has better GBA rom compatability.

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

right. very close to ordering an M3 now (not in stock *grrr*) but I just need to know a couple of things...

Does the GBC and NES emulator save? I've heard rumours they cant, and seeing I want to be playing my Pokemon Crystal I'm going to need a save feature :)

... Praxis?

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

eff it. I've just gone and bought it :) well, M3 Perfect SD (hearts 2gb SD card) and a Super Key (I hear it's just a rebranded PassCard 3). next day delivery. won't come tomorrow as it's Sunday. here on Monday. already downloading the GBA and DS homebrew :D

how mad though. for £65 I've just added so much more functionality to my age old GBA's and new DS's. no silly Nintendo blocking homebrew so I can relax there. AND SD card support. If Sony had an SD port and didn't lock homebrew I would have kept my PSP. alas!

Suppose I'm still curious if GBC and NES emulators support save?

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The NDS versions don't. The GBA versions do. I've been playing Link's Awakening that way, and the original NES MegaMan using savestates. I'd use both the savegames and savestates, that way you have double backup.

There was one other thing I wanted to warn you- I'm too late for Jimmi though :p but for the rest of you.

DS homebrew is not for the barely-computer-literate. It requires quite a bit of knowledge to get things working. Now, the new PassCard 3 sounds MUCH easier to use than PassKey 2 (which required tons of configuration), but you're still going to need to patch and convert things before loading them on the M3 if you want certain functions. So if that frightens you, be wary of homebrew.

Hopefully the SuperKey is a rebranded PassCard 3 and not a PassKey 2 (or worse yet, PassKey 1). I'm not too familiar with it. PassKey/PassMe 1's don't work with newer DS's or DS Lite, PassKey/PassMe 2 requires a lot of setup and use of one game, PassCard 3 works flawlessly. I use a PK2.

Also, some of the NES emulators allow you to transfer the emulator and rom via a GBA link cable and play multiplayer with the other person as the second controller :)

EDIT: Looked it up, SuperKey and PassCard 3 are both "NoPass" cards that directly implement Nintendo's encryption protocols so they work without being bulky and requiring you to stick a game card on top. So yeah, they're the same technology. Good choice.

EDIT 2: Oh yeah, I found my M3 CF! I'm most happy :) Say, did you buy the M3 SD Slim, the M3 SD Lite, or the original that will stick out by a mile?

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Just the M3 Perfect SD. I was looking at the Mini (Lite?) version that used Micro SD cards, but I only have 1 of them cards and it's currently in my ROKR :) . I'm not too fussed about it sticking out too much, I've seen pics of the M3 Perfect SD inside a Micro (will be my setup) and it's only out a little bit.

I'm quietly over the moon about this :) I've been donated and bought a few GB games off mates so they'll be ripped soon. Can't wait for some Pokemon Crystal and Links Awakening DX Micro fun.

Pray tell... how does it work with the DS though? I mean its obvious with the GBA, just stick in the cart and away it goes. but what about booting the M3 up in DS mode? Do I just launch the cart or does it autodetect when I select GBA mode on startup?
    oh, and also what format do videos need to be in? Might as well convert them whilst the Mac is being left alone.

11. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

If it's anything like my rig, it autoboots into the M3 if the passme's in

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=31165

Look there.

M3 SD vs M3 SD Lite/Slim:
    Both use SD cards, the Mini SD one is different:
    [​IMG]

M3 SD:
    [​IMG]

Slim:
    [​IMG]
    Do you know which of those you got? The regular SD one will really stick out badly on a Lite.

This is the Mini-SD Lite...

http://danieldematteis.wordpress.com/files/2006/07/m3lite-white.jpg

If you boot from a GBA slot, the DS automatically reverts to GBA mode, and the M3 starts in GBA mode, where you can run GBA homebrew, roms, and videos. If you put the PassCard in the top slot, and boot like a DS game, the PassCard's software simply redirects the DS to the bottom slot, and the M3 starts in DS mode.

So put the Passcard and M3 in to start in DS mode, and just put the M3 in for GBA mode.

Also, videos and music use an M3-specific format you have to convert using Windows-only software. :( The music quality stinks, video is good quality if you set it to max but low framerate (10-15 FPS). HOWEVER, the latest M3 firmware update lets it play raw MP3's in perfect quality, sounds *GREAT*, and there are tons of third party MP3 and video players for DPG and MPEG-1 video.

I'd use the M3's video converter (it's good) and a third party homebrew MP3 player (Moonshell). The M3's converter does basicly everything...