Media Hint for Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr Aussie, Mar 28, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Apr 3, 2012
    Are there any Media Hint extensions for safari that work just like it?
  2. macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2008
    It's not possible to modify system proxy settings using current Safari extension API.
    However, it's very easy to configure Media Hint proxy manually. Open System Preferences > Network, select your internet connection, click Advanced > Proxies > Automatic Proxy Configuration and paste this URL:

It's also a good idea to create a new network location and use it just for Media Hint (at the top of Network preference pane click Location > Edit Locations, then duplicate existing or create a new one and name it "Media Hint").
    Then you can easily switch between Automatic (for normal browsing) and Media Hint through  menu > Location.
  3. macrumors newbie

Jun 27, 2013
  4. macrumors regular

Jul 27, 2012
  5. macrumors regular

Mar 9, 2013
    How did ya get it working on your iPad?
  6. macrumors regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Settings -> WiFi -> now hit the blue info button next to your wifi connection. under "HTTP Proxy" Select Auto and paste the URL mentioned above into the given field.

I don't think you have to restart or anything, but can't hurt.
  7. macrumors newbie

Nov 29, 2013
    I am using an iPad 3

This did not work for me in safari, chrome or the bbc iplayer.

Please help?
  8. macrumors newbie

Mar 22, 2014
    It works for me on my iPad mini. I don't know if it helps, but I first installed media hint on my iMac in the Chrome browser, logged into Netflix which was re-directed to Netlix USA and then added the link mentioned above in my iPad mini settings. Then did a complete shut down and then a restart and it works :D
  9. macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2014
    So I did this on my iPad and while it appeared to have worked, whenever I try to watch something it just comes up unable to stream :( any ideas of how to fix this?
  10. macrumors member

Jul 12, 2008
    Osaka, Japan
    Excellent, this worked perfectly for me. Thanks for this!
  11. macrumors newbie

Oct 10, 2009
    Media Hint for Safari

Thank you!!! This works for me. One question though, by pasting the URL in the Automatic Proxy Config, is this a 7 day freebee or will I have to pay for this later on??
  12. Yvi
    macrumors newbie

Jun 10, 2014
    The same here. "Help!"
  13. macrumors newbie

Jun 27, 2014
    This is what I'm wondering too?

Also. Adding the URL works flawlessly on my macbook but it doesn't work on my Ipad nor iPhone. The tv shows/movies seem to appear in netflix, but they're not able to stream..

Does anyone know why that is?