Media Hint for Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by Mr Aussie, Mar 28, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Are there any Media Hint extensions for safari that work just like it?

2. macrumors regular

It's not possible to modify system proxy settings using current Safari extension API.
    However, it's very easy to configure Media Hint proxy manually. Open System Preferences > Network, select your internet connection, click Advanced > Proxies > Automatic Proxy Configuration and paste this URL: https://mediahint.com/default.pac

It's also a good idea to create a new network location and use it just for Media Hint (at the top of Network preference pane click Location > Edit Locations, then duplicate existing or create a new one and name it "Media Hint").
    Then you can easily switch between Automatic (for normal browsing) and Media Hint through  menu > Location.

3. macrumors newbie

Media Hint Safari

Thank you blackboxxx!! :D

4. macrumors regular

bkar89

This works on the iPad too! Thanks!

5. macrumors regular

How did ya get it working on your iPad?

6. macrumors regular

bkar89

Settings -> WiFi -> now hit the blue info button next to your wifi connection. under "HTTP Proxy" Select Auto and paste the URL mentioned above into the given field.

I don't think you have to restart or anything, but can't hurt.

7. macrumors newbie

I am using an iPad 3

This did not work for me in safari, chrome or the bbc iplayer.

Please help?

8. macrumors newbie

It works for me on my iPad mini. I don't know if it helps, but I first installed media hint on my iMac in the Chrome browser, logged into Netflix which was re-directed to Netlix USA and then added the link mentioned above in my iPad mini settings. Then did a complete shut down and then a restart and it works :D

9. macrumors newbie

So I did this on my iPad and while it appeared to have worked, whenever I try to watch something it just comes up unable to stream :( any ideas of how to fix this?

10. macrumors member

Excellent, this worked perfectly for me. Thanks for this!

11. macrumors newbie

Media Hint for Safari

Thank you!!! This works for me. One question though, by pasting the URL in the Automatic Proxy Config, is this a 7 day freebee or will I have to pay for this later on??

12. Yvi
    macrumors newbie

The same here. "Help!"

13. macrumors newbie

This is what I'm wondering too?

Also. Adding the URL works flawlessly on my macbook but it doesn't work on my Ipad nor iPhone. The tv shows/movies seem to appear in netflix, but they're not able to stream..

Does anyone know why that is?