Media Player Codec experts, come this way please!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macgeek2005, Aug 23, 2006.

1. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

I have the weirdest case of a unplayable quicktime file.

It's a 138.7mb QuickTime AVI file, and it Will Not Play, in anything.

I have Divx installed. I've tried VLC, Realplayer, Divx Player, Quicktime. It doesn't work.

The video is there because the file is 138.7mb, and I've read discussions about these types of files, but never got a clear answer as to what needs to be done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Open the file in Quicktime. Press Cmd+I. Tell us the video codec it uses.

3. macgeek2005 thread starter macrumors 65816

It gives me a message saying "Error opening movie. The movie could not be opened". I can't open it at all.

In VLC it openes up, but theres no video.. Is there a way I can find the codec in there?

Edit: When I go in VLC, and go in "Information" and go "Advanced", it says the Codec is mpga.

4. macgeek2005 thread starter macrumors 65816

Anyone?

I just found out I need the K-lite codecs to view them. Are these available for mac?

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

K-lite is a pack of codecs, many of which are available on MacOS X as individual downloads. It might be more useful if you could specify the specific video and audio codecs used in your multimedia files.

6. live4ever macrumors 6502a

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

All three Indeo codecs are bundled with the Classic.

8. Yuvi macrumors member

In VLC, does it only have one stream? mpga is an audio codec, so we'll need to know the video codec. If VLC only lists the audio stream, the video's probably going to be unplayable anywhere.

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

To get the codec info, Windows has a freeware tool called VideoInspector. Google it for the download. The only problem is you need Windows to run the program.

10. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I actually get this with all of the .avi files I get. I just trash them. I'm not really out anything.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

As others have said its an Indeo video, the sound plays but not the video. It's an old intel format and is only supported under classic, there is no OS X support. Some older versions (3.2) of the format may work with mplayer.