Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

answer348

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
Is there currently any media player for macs that plays WMV3 files? I have Quicktime, VLC, and Windows Media Player, and none of them seem to do the trick.

thatwendigo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Sum, Ergo Sum.
In a word: no.

In a longer explanation:

Microsoft seems to be dragging their feet on letting anyone else in the MMV3 codec, because it's their DRM-laced one that they want to use to get people locked in on Windows. I don't expect support for it any time soon. You're basically out of luck if you're not using a Windows machine that's new enough to install the latest WMP and using XP.

planetary1

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2004
thatwendigo said:
In a word: no.

In a longer explanation:

Microsoft seems to be dragging their feet on letting anyone else in the MMV3 codec, because it's their DRM-laced one that they want to use to get people locked in on Windows. I don't expect support for it any time soon. You're basically out of luck if you're not using a Windows machine that's new enough to install the latest WMP and using XP.

This is the best info that I could come up with too. Thanks for posting that answer... I'm so frustrated because every day more and more material is in the WMV format using the WMV3 codec. I read somewhere that VLC "could" make it work, and in fact they used to support the WMV codecs until Microsoft got on their backs.

This needs to be resolved because sooner or later we are going to be left out of almost everything, somebody has to hack this or something...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.