Media Player on Mac...- PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dscan99, Dec 11, 2004.

1. dscan99 macrumors regular

Hi!

I am struggling to get Windows Media Player working correctly as a plug- in within my browser. (i.e the little media player window within the browser window) It seems to work if I open up a URL in Media Player application but not when I click on a streaming audio link within Safari that requires Media Player to play. The same link works fine on my PC and I really would like to get this working on my iBook!!!!! I'm at a loss... :confused: any advice is appreciated!

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

I have this problem sometimes too, but only with sites that doesn't support Quicktime :(

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

From all accounts, Media Player for the Mac is a piece of junk.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, I completely agree with that. And it's not an MS-bashing, "Apple is better", blah blah blah thing, it's actually just the facts - MP for Mac is a crappy piece of software and simply doesn't work well. I would never use it. Period.

5. haiggy macrumors 65816

Agreed.

6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

WMP is typical microsoft *****. But I know where you are coming from.

Try this:

1) Launch WMP by double-clicking it in you Applications folder.
    2) Go to a website with the media you need to play, and click the link.
    3) It *should* open in WMP.

Now try it without opening WMP, it *should* launch WMP for you.

This worked on my Mac (1.2 Ghz iBook running 10.3.6), and now WMP launches and plays the file when a link is clicked (of course, it takes like 20 seconds before it starts playing, but that's just typical WMP).

Good luck.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

That will work for launching it and opening it, etc., but as for keeping it from crashing, there is no way around that. I say use at your own risk, it's NOT a good piece of software for the Mac...

How often do you really need a WMP plug-in in your browser though? I can't think of one time when I've absolutely needed it, there always seems to be alternatives...

8. urban1985_ macrumors regular

Not just MP, MSN messenger for mac is crap too. Pretty much anything made by microsoft for mac is crap. Except for Office, that's pretty decent.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

My copy of Office v.X works amazing, better than the Windows version in my opinion. As for MSN Messenger, I use it rarely, but have never had any issues with it and it's run extremely well for me. I'm not a big IM guy though, so perhaps my standards, expectations and requirements aren't as high and demanding as other people's. ;) :cool:

10. dontmatter macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem... except that I can't even get realplayer to do that, and I've even had trouble with quicktime. Don't know if it is problems with those or with safari, but either way, multimedia content is seriously frustrating on my comupter, and not very mac-like.

11. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Yeah, as others have said, I wouldn't "infect" my Mac with WMP. I had terrible problems with it on my PC when the last upgrade came out. I'm sure you can find something else such as iTunes which works much much better. The visuals are great too!!

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I find it handy for the occasional time I want to listen to song samples from Amazon for an album that isn't on iTMS.