Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ungar

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Paris
My brand-new Intel iMac works fine, only none of the media plugins seem to work. For example, on the page http://www.radiofrance.fr/chaines/france-musiques/direct/, I should be able to listen to the radio using wmp, but though I have wmp installed, I get a message saying that I need an external module not supported by Safari, and I should perhaps try wmp. If I open Safari with Rosetta, and try to follow the link to listen to the radio, I get a message that says Impossible to open the file. Check that the pathway is and file name are correct, then try again (rough translation from the French). The same sort of thing happens with media that are supposed to be played with Real Player (I've got Real One as well). This happens not only with Safari, but with Firefox, Camino and Opera. Any ideas?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
My only suggestion would have been the one you tried: open Safari using Rosetta. Since that didn't work, I think the plugins must use native code which Rosetta is unable to translate. There are a few PPC apps which will not run on Intel, and this must be one of them.

ungar

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Paris
Thanks for answering. I guess PPC means Power PC. If you mean Real Player and Windows Media, you're probably right. This is my very first Mac, after years of struggling with Windows. I really thought it would be much more problem-free, and I'm dismayed to find out I can't get hardly ANY media from ANY browser. Has anyone else had the same problems with Intel? It would be nice if someone who knows more than me about these things visited the site I mentioned (http://www.radiofrance.fr/chaines/france-musiques/direct/), clicked on "ecouter le direct" (listen live), and saw what happens.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
I tried it with my 17" Intel iMac. It doesn't work. But don't worry, since Apple is trasitioning all their models to Intel in about a year, the software developers will jump on the bandwagon and make Universal programs.

Maybe try Flip4Mac with Safari running is Rosetta?

ungar

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Paris
I can't install flip4mac! When I try, I get a message that I must have quick time 6.5.1 or later. But I have quick time 7.0.4. What gives?

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
I just tried it, even not having Safari running under Rosetta, after it told me that it could not be played, I clicked O.K. and it launched Windows Media Player and it started playing fine. I'm on a 17" Intel.

Just dowload WMP9 for Mac and you should be fine. FlipForMac I did not like, It crashed my browser before, that is why I have WMP9. I know Real Player works also, so download them, you will be fine.:)

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Once Flip4Mac goes Intel Universal, I'd suggest that. The crashing problem the previous poster noted was only a problem shortly after the QuickTime 7.0.4 update—it was fixed a few days later. As WMP9 isn't even supported on the Mac by Microsoft anymore, I'd say install it as a stopover, but when Flip4Mac goes Universal, switch over ASAP.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
MacAficionado said:
I know Real Player works also, so download them, you will be fine.:)

I'm having trouble with Real Player plugin though. If you use safari and go to a site with real media embedded on the site, I'm just left with the ? and plugin warning problem.

Only way I got real player site to work is to use the browser built into real player 10...

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Works fine for me on my cube. The popup opens and WMP streams the music. Must be some kind of incompatibility with WMP. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

bigfib

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
ungar said:
I can't install flip4mac! When I try, I get a message that I must have quick time 6.5.1 or later. But I have quick time 7.0.4. What gives?

You're quite right ungar, the plugins for real and wmp do NOT work on the intel macs, and noone anywhere has yet found way to make them work.

i'm having the same problem as you with radio france, and with bbc radio also...

But don't be dismayed... You can open the streams in the standalone programs for now, and the vendors of each of these pluging have promised updates "soon".

And don't worry, other than this, you *will* find your mac *much* more problem-free than your pc...

I certainly never regretted the switch.

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
MacRumorUser said:
I'm having trouble with Real Player plugin though. If you use safari and go to a site with real media embedded on the site, I'm just left with the ? and plugin warning problem.

Only way I got real player site to work is to use the browser built into real player 10...

So far it works for me. I go to http://www.nfl.com a lot and with Rosetta, the video that plays on the right side is Real Player and it plays within Safari. I guess I'll try so more sites, but for me this transition is going smooth.

ungar

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Paris
Well, I've just installed Real Player 10. If I try to watch the BBC News clips, I get the image, but no sound (my loudspeakers are on; I can hear CDs etc.)!

And if I try it as a standalone, using their own radio browser and stations on their own guide, I can see it's streaming, but still there's no sound. I've checked all the preferences, and everything else! What could the problem be? Help!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
MacAficionado said:
Here you go, this is Real on Frontline also.
Click to enlarge.
View attachment 40807

Wierd I get the

SAFARI could not find the internet plugin..

The page “NFL.com - Official Site of the National Football League” has content of MIME type “audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin”. Because you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type, this content can’t be displayed.

How did you install Real and what version?
Thanks

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
O.k. Go to Safari in the Finder-----> Applications>Safari- Then Right click or CTRL+Click on the Safari icon and choose Get Info- Check the Box that says "Open using Rosseta."

This is assuming you already Installed Real Player and opened it to set it up.

Then go to the website (You have to quit Safari and restarted if you had not done so) and try it again.

As far as your video not playing, it could be that your bandwith is set to something too high on the Real Preferences. Set it to a lower connection, see if that helps.

All this has also worked with the Windows Media Player also. To me it has worked as it has on my G4 Powerbook, only I set it to open in Rosetta

Good luck, let us know what happens.

ungar

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Paris
Following bigfib's advice, I'll stop worrying about plugins for the time being, and wait for intel updates. Nonetheless, I'm worried about the other problem I raised, namely that I get no sound with Real Player 10, whether it's launched from Safari under Rosetta (which now works with some sites), or as a standalone player. Could this be a Rosetta/Real Player issue, or is there something wrong with my computer? Other proud owners of Intel iMacs don't seem to be having this problem.

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
I guess the only thing I did when I got the iMac was to delete the factory install and re Installed with the software restore disks.

You might want to try a fresh install before calling it quits.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
ungar said:
Nonetheless, I'm worried about the other problem I raised, namely that I get no sound with Real Player 10, whether it's launched from Safari under Rosetta (which now works with some sites), or as a standalone player. Could this be a Rosetta/Real Player issue, or is there something wrong with my computer? Other proud owners of Intel iMacs don't seem to be having this problem.
Well, I cannot call myself a "proud" owner of Intel iMac. All I had to do was pay for it, actually my credit card bill has not arrived, yet, so I haven't even paid. :)

Anyways, if you can get other apps to play music and if you are able to hear "Finder" sounds (trashing etc.) then I'd say realplayer must have a strange audio setting. Deleting the plist file and then relaunching it might help, otherwise just play with its preferences.

bigfib

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
ungar said:
Following bigfib's advice, I'll stop worrying about plugins for the time being, and wait for intel updates. Nonetheless, I'm worried about the other problem I raised, namely that I get no sound with Real Player 10, whether it's launched from Safari under Rosetta (which now works with some sites), or as a standalone player. Could this be a Rosetta/Real Player issue, or is there something wrong with my computer? Other proud owners of Intel iMacs don't seem to be having this problem.

Last nights software update (10.4.5) supposedly fixes it so that flip4mac installs correctly - so claims apple. That should fix at least the wmp problem.
You see, everything comes to those that wait :D

EDIT: Actually despite apples claim that with 10.4.5 "On an Intel-based Mac, Telestream Flip4Mac now installs correctly." it doesnt on mine.. that is; it installs correctly, but safari still doesnt read windows media and the flip4mac system pane says "this cannot be opened on this computer".
Guess we'll have to wait for an update from flip4mac now....
If anyone gets it to work, let me know.

ungar

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Paris
Another example: Whether I use Safari with or without Rosetta, when I go to this page http://midiworld.com/bach.htm, and click on a link to play a midi file, I get a page with the Quick Time logo and a question mark. What does that mean?

By the way, thanks for all your help.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
Dual 2GHZ PowerPC G5 running OS X 10.3.9
Safari: 1.3.1 (v312.3.1)
QuickTime Player 7.03
and I have the same problem with those midi files, so I guess it's not depending on your IntelMac fault.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Pardon for my english too:eek:

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
ungar said:
Another example: Whether I use Safari with or without Rosetta, when I go to this page http://midiworld.com/bach.htm, and click on a link to play a midi file, I get a page with the Quick Time logo and a question mark. What does that mean?

By the way, thanks for all your help.

What kind of connection do you have? Those midi files or whatever they are play just fine on my iMac. I beginning to wonder whether you have a fast enough connection and wether you are giving the file enough time to download.

And this is done with Camino.

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
A little off-topic, but how does the Flash plugin run in Safari/Firefox? Faster than on PowerPC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.