Media Server

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Me1000, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I have an old Powermac G3 (B&W) sitting around doing nothing and id like to make it a Small media server. I currently have OS X 10.1 I have 2 ~40GB HDDs in it, I formated one for fat32 the other is Mac OS extended...

anyway, I wanted to run windows from a VM off the fat32 HDD, or install it on a very small partition, then have it look for it over the network.

I was able to see the computer over the network, but not able to see the windows formated HDD. Anyone know why this is? or how i can fix it?

so when i was unable to see the fat32 drive, I though about doing a software RAID on them, to make it a media server. a nice backup server or something.

But when i ran the install disk to RAID them, i get an error, "Cannot make file system or something. anyone know how to get around that? lol

Anyway thanks in advance, however i dont think anything im asking is posable!

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you trying to make a software RAID 1 with a fat32 and os extended, or you trying to make a RAID 0? Either way it isn't going to work.

3. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

no they were both Mac OS extended when i tried the RAID... and i think its a RAID 0 if memory serves right, (where it treats it as one 80GB HDD)

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

what install disk are you using to "raid them".

why are you making a backup server with a raid 0? if you loss one disk your data is gone.

5. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

1. I tried 10.1 install, 10.4 (CD version) and 9.X (but couldnt even figure out how to format the drive)

2. It doesnt matter, it will be more for backups, nothing truly important.

3. i may just put ubuntu on it...