Media Temple (Grid) vs ASO

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by motherduce, Nov 7, 2006.

?

Media Temple's New Grid or ASO? Why?

1. Media Temple (Grid)

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. A Small Orange

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Other (What and Why?)

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. motherduce macrumors 6502

I know a lot of you use ASO, and I'm probably going to move at least one of my sites to them in the coming months, but I also host a dozen or so other sites with low to moderate traffic. I wanted to see what kind of response this poll would get - I know I'm probably in good shape with either of these two choices, but wondered what the MR design community preferred.

Obviously, speed and reliability are key - for uploads, video streaming, etc.

Also, multiple restricted FTP user and email accounts are necessary as well, for the various sites I'm hosting.

2. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i signed up with aSO to run a vbulletin forum, as my current host (1and1 - excellent in all areas except the 100MB MySQL limit) is reaching it's database capacity for my forum.

looking around the CP in aSO i find it kind of tricky, i really don't like these add-on domains, it seems like a big restriction to me. i have about 20 domains with 1and1 and i can configure them any way i like. with aSO i don't think i have nearly as much flexibilty with multiple domains...unless someone can show me otherwise (i'm not all that experienced with web stuff honestly).

i'd be interested to see what others think also.

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

MediaTemple's grid servers run kind of funky with multiple domains too. It's best to know some .htaccess tricks to be able to really configure things the way you want (like allowing or disallowing www. on your domain).

But overall, I'm quite happy with my recent switch to MediaTemple. The FTP speed is dramatically faster than dreamhost. They do support multiple, restrictable FTP and shell accounts.

Any other questions I would be happy to answer.

If you sign up for MediaTemple, would you use my domain, paularms.com as a referer?

4. ThunderLounge macrumors 6502

ThunderLounge

Can't help much. I lease my own stuff. I guess if something gets hosed, I know where to call... :)

5. motherduce thread starter macrumors 6502

Weird with all the ASO users on these boards that no one has supported them?

Anyone else have an opinion to offer?